Saturday 23 May 2015

Green grass, spring blooms and quilt shows

Well, it's been a while since I've posted.  Don't know where the month has gone but it is spring and in my neck of the woods that means Quilt Shows!  I haven't been to see as many as I would like but when your own guild is hosting a show and there are 5 others on the same weekend you know what that means.  You work at your own, see your own and miss four.  I am planning to see the Quilts of France in a small community west of home.  It's almost a two hour drive but I've heard from quilting buddies that it is well worth the trip.   So on Saturday, while everyone is checking in with the rainbow scrap challenge, I'll be on the road and reading everyone's posts after I get home in the evening.

I managed to put together the lozenges from last year rainbow challenge.  I must apologize for the photo.  My design wall goes right into the corner and I have a wall of shelves that reach almost into the corner; so, the boxes on the shelf got into the photo too.
My layout isn't the typical one but I liked the stacks of lozenges playing with the vertical ones. 

I have also been working on some green leaves.  I managed to put together four blocks and two more are almost finished.  This will give you an idea of the quilt.  It will be a small wall hanging.  I had thought of adding some orange, yellow and brown leaves to show the seasons but I'm not sure if I will go ahead with that or not.

Laura Wasilowski was a guest lecturer and workshop presenter at a neighbouring guild.  She's the "Dean of the Chicago School of Fusing."  I heard her lecture on Wednesday afternoon.  She was very entertaining - she sang, she talked, we sang and laughed.  Great fun!   On Thursday, I doodled and fused.  It was a fun day and my only regret was that I left my camera at home so have no pictures to share of the workshop, just the piece I worked on there.  My doodle came to life with her bright hand dyed fabrics and threads for embellishment.  (Still a work in progress.)
Checking in with Angela and hoping to catch up on all the green goodness going on out there.

16 comments:

quiltedfabricart said...

I've seen Laura on the quilt show and she is very inspiring and fun. Your fusible doodle quilt is great - quilting will only make it better but my fave is that leaf quilt. I would leave it just the way it is. Your variety of fabrics in green are enough. Very nice ;-)

Kate said...

I like your layout for the lozenges, it has a nice rhythm to it. Your thought of adding the orange, yellow and brown blocks of leaves sounds like an interesting one.

LA Paylor said...

wow the lozenge project is great! Color- FULL. I love Laura W. and it will be fun for you to work on your class piece. LeeAnna

Sally Trude said...

I love the mix-up in the lozenges of black and white backgrounds and vertical and horizontal. That really came together to make a spectacular quilt.

sunny said...

I like what you're doing with your lozenges. Very bright and happy. And the leaves are very interesting. I could see something like that in my house. Keep on stitching!

Julierose said...

Oh nice leaves and lozenges--I like the loz. in a rainbow a lot! I just got L>W>'s book "Colorful Quilts" and am hoping to do some fusing--your "Doodle" is looking great....hugs, julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE your lozenges AND the layout - well done!!!

I think I would make one leafy wall hanging for each season - not mixing all the colors in one.

scraphappy said...

Love the unique lozenge layout. Wonderful colors. Those green leaves look great, not sure about the fall colors either. Maybe yellow or brown shades of green?

PaulaB quilts said...

I really like your doodle and fuse piece. It is so playful and colorful. Are you going to blanket stitch the whole thing? Does she have a website? I would love to know more.

Scrappy quilter said...

Lovely work and you managed to get a lot done. Our quilt show will be here the first weekend in June. I can't wait!!

Katie Z. said...

The lozenges look fabulous in your layout!

Julianne said...

I love your layout for your lozenges...very colorful!

Julianne said...

I love your layout for your lozenges...very colorful!

Quilter Kathy said...

SO much fun going on in your quilt adventures!
Love your layout for the lozenges!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I really Really like the way you layed out your lozenges quilt!!

Teresa in Music City said...

Beautiful eye candy in your post! LOVE those colorful lozenges!!!!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...