Friday 20 March 2015

It's Spring

Wow!  It's officially spring in the northern hemisphere.  Snows are melting, temperatures are warming up, gentle rains are falling and the sap is flowing.  Maple syrup events are happening in neighbouring communities and the first batch of the 2015 season is on sale.

Another busy week with Easter preparations but I did find time on Friday to make one yellow string block.  What an array of yellow prints and hues!  Bright sunny yellow, golden yellow, buttery yellow and every shade in between!

I found a gummy bear quilt in Myra Harder's Nap and Nod Adorable Baby Quilts.  A friend's granddaughter just loves the Gummy Bear songs and is often seen dancing away to the tunes.  When I saw the pattern I immediately knew I had to make it for her.  Gummy bears are cut out of Minky or fleece and need to be appliqued.  I bought Minky for the backing so it should be a great little quilt for nap time.  Here's the layout - note the two adorable yellow gummy bears.  I think the polka dot background just makes it fun and youthful.
I'll be linking up with soscrappy and checking out some blogs to see what others have been busy doing.  Just one more yellow week and then time for a new colour!  What will it be?

13 comments:

Marly said...

Nice string blocks; all the shades of yellow give them depth. I've never heard of gummy bears; we have jelly bears that are the same shape but they're for eating! Anyway it looks like a really cuddly quilt for a little girl.

Scrappy quilter said...

Lovely blocks and those bears are so cute.

Mari said...

There's a gummy bear song? :) The quilt is darling and sure to be loved. And string blocks are so useful and the yellow ones are very cheerful.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gummy bears - what a great idea.

Angie said...

Yummy yellows in your string block! And the gummy bears are adorable!

Lisa J. said...

Very nice string blocks. I love the gummy's as well.

Katie Z. said...

The bears are super cute.

LA Paylor said...

your blog background is my favorite of the blogger ones. The yellow blocks are terrrific! LeeAnna at not afraid of color

quiltedfabricart said...

I love your color combinations on the yellow and those gummy bears are so stinking cute

Nanna said...

nice assortment of yellows in your blocks, the gummie bears are too cute!

Helen

scraphappy said...

What sweet bears. You have a great range of yellows in your blocks.

Sheila said...

Great yellow prints. Cute bears. Oh yes. I'm familiar with the song.

Edith said...

I like your string block and the gummy bear quilt is adorable.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...