Tuesday 10 March 2015

The Challenging Challenge

There is a challenge that members of my quilters' guild are invited to participate in for our biannual Guild Quilt Show.  Northcott fabrics were selected as the challenge fabrics and the theme was Nightscapes.  I purchased one of the challenge kits last fall and somehow misplaced it in my quilt studio but that didn't stop me from participating.  No, it was just another challenge.  Thankfully one of the quilt shops in town had agreed to carry the line so I purchased the fabric yet again back in January.  The fabric sat and sat and the time for submitting the challenge piece crept closer and closer.  Finally, last week I bit the bullet and started a piece.  I decided to add the fabric to a project I had started at a workshop with Elaine Kuehl several years ago but when I tried putting it with the challenge fabric it just didn't work the way I hoped it would.  The direction of the illumination was all wrong for what I wanted to do.  So I sat and sat and wondered what to do.  About midnight I gazed out my window and saw it.  The perfect project.  "My View" from my studio window was indeed a nightscape. 
 
I created my window and what I saw outside.  You can't see too clearly the purple fabric because of the reflection on the organza that I used to simulate the glass but it is in the lower 1/3 of the window.  I used the yellow front and back to simulate the folds in the drapes and the lights outside.  There are things I would do differently but the piece is finished in time to submit at tonight's guild meeting.  

4 comments:

Lisa J. said...

Great idea . I looks great.

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

That looks very nightscape and very mysterious. Well done and under the deadline!

Quilter Kathy said...

Brilliant idea Nellie! Can't wait to see all the challenge pieces together!

Cheryll said...

oOOOhhh I like this one!
Well done! xox

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...