Saturday 8 February 2014

Slivers of Pink

A while back I saw a delightful quilt with little pops of colour inserted into blocks made of cake plates.  I couldn't imagine inserting such tiny bits of fabric into a block but they definitely added some interest and some charm.  (That's before I made the baby nines block.)  Charm!  I had a collection of charm squares and wondered what to do with them.  Could I make some of these interesting little sliver blocks using charm squares?  So I gave it a try.  All I had to do was iron a fold into the charm square, insert a folded bit of fabric into the fold and stitch 1/4 inch away from the fold.  Open, press and tack down the loose edge or not.  The result was so cute.  I put several together to form a little unit.
I've put together six of the little blocks.  The 5 inch charm blocks were cut down to 4.5 inches to accommodate the loss  when the diagonal folds were made.


Stitch down the loose edge using decorative stitching for some added interest.
I haven't decided what to do with these little units yet but they are a good size for some cute little breakfast rugs - they will hold a mug and some toast or a bowl of cereal.  Hmm!  Or maybe I could put a group of these together to make a cute little wall hanging after adding some embellishment of course.  Decisions, decisions.


16 comments:

soscrappy said...

What a sweet idea. Starting with a fold is a new technique for me. Looks great!

Kate said...

Very cute. Lots of design possibilities with those little blocks.

make.share.give said...

Very nice!

Deb A said...

Great idea! Your little nines block came out great too.

Sarah said...

Interesting idea. ive never added an insert with a fold! I really like them. Also your 16 patch from your last entry - so tiny!

ratama said...

What a great idea!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a clever idea!

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

Don't the little slivers just make things pop!

Karen said...

I love the pink pop in the blocks.

Lisa said...

Any way of making pink blocks with less pink works for me ;o)

Melinda said...

Very cute idea for all those charms. I have over 10,000 after being a host of a monthly charm swap for years and years. I've started using them in simple charity quilts. A ready made leader/ender project.

Nell's Quilts said...

Thank you. I loved the way the quilt in the shop looked and asked about the technique. Had to try it at home but on a smaller scale. It's fun to do and I love selecting the machine stitching to hold down the sliver. If I was better at doing the fancy stitches like on a crazy quilt I'm sure it would be better yet.

Nell's Quilts said...

Absolutely. The sky's the limit.

Nell's Quilts said...

I was so timid in starting the baby nines but was pleasantly surprised at how easily and well they went together. Angela is great for challenging us to try it.

Nell's Quilts said...

That sliver was new to me too but it allows you to put in a tiny bit that would be very difficult if you were cutting and then stitching.

Nell's Quilts said...

Wow! 10,000 and I thought I had too many with a shoebox full. It's always such a challenge to use them up. Our guild community outreach chair challenged us to grab a few and come up with a unique design for them. Some great results!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...