Saturday 15 February 2014

Scrappy Pink Fabric

I borrowed Fifteen Minutes of Play by Victoria Findlay Wolfe from the guild library and enjoyed reading about her approach to scraps.  It reminded me of crumb quilts  but she makes fabric using scraps and treats it just like regular yardage when cutting to create blocks.  This strategy brought to mind a very experienced quilter I met who used ugly blocks like a piece of fabric and cut them up to create new blocks. 
In keeping with this months colour, I used odds and ends of pink and stitched them together to create a piece of fabric.  I then cut it into strips and paired the strips with a bit of neutral fabric and sewed up a HST block.



Here is the 8" finished block made of HST
and here is just one of the HST I pieced.  It measures 2" finished.


It was an interesting process but difficult with the small triangles because of all the seams so I tried a very large Flying Geese block suggested in the book.  It is much easier to see the small pieces and looks like an interesting crazy patch fabric.


I must admit I have never made Flying Geese this large.  The block finishes at 12".
 
I also managed to complete the broken dishes block from the RSC

 
and the flimsie from the Sewl Bowl.  I'm still not convinced I like the borders on this one but I did want to make borders that indicated a top and bottom.  My fabric was a stripe with dancing cows, kittens and frogs and I did want the dancing cows to tie in with the black squares.
It has some pinks and corally pink so I thought I'd include it in the So Scrappy Saturday check in.
Hop over to So Scrappy to see what everyone has been doing.
 




18 comments:

Deb A said...

I love the idea of making your own yardage with scraps! Your blocks look wonderful with all the scrappy fabrics in there.

Marly said...

Lovely scrappy HSTs, but thanks for the tip about too many seams. I'm glad the large scale flying geese went better. That's useful information.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I made some string flying geese, but not enough to do with yet. I love love your flimsie, what a great idea to do a directional border, it adds so much interest

Cindy Nielsen said...

I really like your totally scrappy fabric you made for the flying geese. What a great idea!

Karen said...

I like all your pinks. The quilt is very pretty. The black really pops.

Sheila said...

Yardage from scraps. What a good idea for crumb scraps.

Nell's Quilts said...

This seems to be a bit of a theme in some of the other posts. Someone referred to making a slab of fabric. It's fun and no bit is too small or too awkward to work with.

Nell's Quilts said...

The seems were a bit bulky particularly at the points. If I had been more particular about where I cut I could have avoided some of the issues.

Nell's Quilts said...

I'm not sure what I will do with these flying geese or the HST block but there are also some spools in blue that need a home. They just might all meet up in some truly scrappy quilt.
I figure once quilted it will be a perfect little quilt for my nieces little one.

Nell's Quilts said...

Thank you. It took a while to figure out what to use in the border but I like the black and white dancing cows and the cow print to set off and tie together the use of black in the top.

Nell's Quilts said...

I really liked the idea that Victoria Findlay Wolfe had about playing with the scraps for 15 minutes to see what you can come up with in that time. It doesn't become tedious and is really a lot of fun. You can always add on when you next sit to sew till you have a large enough piece of made fabric. To me it was like free fabric and who doesn't love that idea.

Nell's Quilts said...

Loved the idea and it was so much fun to get that "free" yardage.

Cathy said...

Made fabric or crumbs...no matter what you call it it's all fun and a good way to use up scraps that some people might throw away. I've made lots of donation quilts from crumbs and felt like keeping a couple of them!

Kate said...

I've never tried the fabric crumb blocks. Yours look great.

Nell's Quilts said...

They are fun to do. Every one is a surprise.

Nell's Quilts said...

I too have a crumb quilt waiting for quilting. It will be a donation quilt.

scraphappy said...

Too cute. Love the idea of turning crumb fabric into yardage. So fun.

Elly D said...

This is a great way to use up all those itty bitty scraps you just can't bare to throw out. You have made some lovely pink blocks and I love your flimsy :) Elly

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...