Friday 28 February 2014

March is Teal

Teal is one of those colours I have trouble with because I'm not sure what qualifies as teal and then I'm told there is teal blue and teal green.  More confusion!   I checked my green and blue small cuts and scrap bins to look for "teal".  I had a few in the blue bin but most in the green bin so I'm thinking most of my teals are of the teal green variety.
Here they are.  Not much tonal variation so I'll have to be very creative in working some of the blocks for RSC 6" blocks.  I wonder if some of my quilting buddies have odd bits of teal that they would be willing to donate to the cause.  I could use some lights.  In doing the squint test I see that most of my fabrics are mediums and one or two that read a little darker and one that reads a little lighter.  I attended a workshop with RaNae Merrill last year and she pointed out that many quilters work with colour in the medium range and have few darks and lights in their stash.  Could it be that fabric designers focus more on the mediums with perhaps one dark and one light in their collections?  I'll have to check out that theory.  Some of the fabrics are at least ten years old so it will be good to clear them from the stash.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I'm using my box of teal/turquoise/aqua scraps of this challenge. If I need some contrast I'll mix in some cream, white or black on white scraps.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...