Sunday 16 February 2014

Journey into Slow Stitching


My niece was going to have a baby!  Hurrah!!  Finally I would be able to make a baby quilt. Some of my quilting buddies have been making baby quilts for grandchildren, nieces and nephews for years so I talked to a few to find the best source for fabrics for children's quilts and last spring headed out to find the shop everyone agreed had an excellent selection. I had never been to this shop and checked on line maps to locate the shop. I plugged the address into my GPS and set out.  I ended up going through a forest preserve on a road that twisted and turned and even followed a grader leveling the dirt road after spring thaw. I wondered why anyone in their right mind would want to go to this particular shop but it looked like I was almost there so carried on. (Thank goodness I had 4 wheel drive.) When I exited my car it was caked in mud but the quilt shop was straight ahead in a cute little barn that had been converted into a quilt shop. The rest of the shopping trip was a delight. Most of the lower level was devoted to fabrics for children's quilts. There were brights and pastels and beautiful panels. We knew the baby would be a girl so I found a lovely panel and some coordinating fabrics for backing and borders. The panel was very pale and the sample in the shop was backstitched in floss to outline the characters. And so my slow stitching began. It is finished and the borders are attached. Now after all that hand work I can't bring myself to machine quilt so the slow stitching journey will continue.

A perfect quilt for a little princess. 
 
In case you're interested there was a better, cleaner more direct route - don't trust GPS :)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

My GPS has tried to send me down gated logging roads. Glad you found a better route to the quilt shop!

Nell's Quilts said...

So am I. Hope to get there again soon.

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

We had a GPS that tried to put us over a cliff! Glad to see you settled on hair colour for the little darlings.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...