Saturday 1 March 2014

March 1st - Lion or Lamb out your way

It's the first day of March and I was wondering what the weather was like out your way.  It's cold and breezy here and snow showers are expected later this morning.  It is, however, warmer than it has been all week and the winds are a little calmer.  Does that make it a lamb or a gentle lion?

I know we're doing teal this month but I did manage to finish up the pink basket that was included in Angela's pink finish photo.   I cheated and cut some pieces 3.5" instead of all the 2" squares.  Fewer seams :) to deal with on the back.

Here's my boxy star in teal.  When I was working with the colour layout the dark quarter didn't appear as dark as it does in the photo but I think it will work in the overall quilt layout at the end.
Angela also posted instructions for two new blocks - Friendship Star and a variation of Courthouse Steps.
Here's Friendship Star.  The contrast isn't too good on this one but the print in the fabric helps to define the star.
And here's The Courthouse Steps variation.  Much better contrast here.
 
I'll be linking up with so scrappy.  Hop over to see what everyone is doing.
 


 

12 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh your blocks are wonderful! That boxy star is a great block and looks wonderful in the teal. I think using less seams is always a better way to go! Great job thinking ahead.

soscrappy said...

Wow! You got a lot done in a hurry! Great blocks.

Marly said...

Great blocks. Thanks for sharing on cutting rectangles instead of 2 adjacent squares in the basket block.
Last year I made a wall hanging of friendship stars, all with a rectangle minus a triangle instead of the corner squares. I got that idea from Marti Michell's booklet with her Series Q templates.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great blocks! I really like the little pink basket!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Pretty colors....pretty blocks there. I guess I better get going...I haven't even looked through my scraps yet! LOL!

Karen said...

Very pretty teal fabrics. I love the blocks. Your pink basket is very spring looking and I am so ready for spring.

Edith said...

Very nice Nell, your Friendship star looks 3-D(like it is standing out of the fabric) to me.

Kate said...

Very pretty sampler blocks. Love all your teals!

It's cold here, with sleet and snow expected tomorrow.

Sarah said...

Teal is such a beautiful colour. I like your blocks they will make a nice addition to the pink and blue!

Elly D said...

Oh my! You got a lot done in the couple of days. Love your teal blocks, they are so pretty :) and the pink basket. I like your thinking too on removing some seams ;)
March came in like a lamb here so that means we may well get our first snow of the season at the end of March ;))

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

So pretty! I am learning that more contrast is best on my sampler blocks too. I need to try some Boxy Stars - such an eye catching block.

Linda said...

All of your blocks look great. I love your basket block and it's ok to cheat, only I don't call it cheating, I call it time management. Ha! Have fun with the blocks. I've got to play catch up on mine. I can't believe it's March! It snuck up on me and I'm way behind.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...