Friday 28 March 2014

Last Saturday for Teal


A busy week and just a little quilting on teal scraps completed.  I managed to finish the "Four Plus" block posted last Sunday, a Garlic Knot and the Cat block posted by Deb. 

Last week I made a couple of slabs of teal and this week I used one of the slabs to make the four plus block.  It has a totally different look when made from the slab rather than a solid piece of fabric.  I like the scrappy look.
 
 
Here's the garlic knot.  I just love this little block and it comes together so easily.

Finally here's the little cat block in a dark teal.
 
The reason I didn't get much teal done is that I was working on a seven shirt quilt.  What is really great about this quilt is that you make the top and back from seven men's shirts - 2 light and 5 dark.  The thrifty quilter has the instructions for the quilt posted on her blog.  She spoke at our guild meeting last fall and after seeing the quilt I knew I had to try to make one. 
The quilt usually ends with the piano keyboard border but I wanted a little extra length and had some extra yardage from the shirts so added a border to the top and bottom of the quilt.  I then pieced an extra border for the entire quilt.  I think this will make it easier when quilting as there won't be so many seams at the outside edges.  I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out.  Your eyes do dance a little from the red striped shirt fabric  in this photo but it really isn't bad when you see it live. 

I'll be linking up with Angela at so scrappy.  Stop by to see what others have been up to.

12 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love your shirt quilt, and the thanks for the link. I may have to try this one.

Quiltdivajulie said...

That quilt top is wonderful - and I LOVE the reds mixed in.

Julie in GA said...

I just got a pile of shirts recently. Thanks for the pattern link.

Sheila said...

Beautiful blocks. Thank you for the seven shirt quilt link. What a great idea for a memory quilt.

Marly said...

Nice blocks and a beautiful quilt. Amazing that you could make a whole quilt from shirts.

Katie Z. said...

Your quilt top is quite lovely.

Karen said...

Very nice quilt. I love the garlic knot block. I just might have to make some.

Edith said...

Wow Nell, you are doing some really neat projects here. Gotta love that 7 shirt quilt, and I really like the slab blocks (I like scrappy).

Dasha said...

What a fabulous shirt quilt you have produced! I reckon you deserve a pat on the back, so here s a cyber pat {P} (Tee hee hee)

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

I really like that slab approach!
I think it would be a great time saver as well as adding s twist to a lot of blocks.

Teresa in Music City said...

What a great quilt from shirts!!! I have about a million shirts ready to be cut up - must go save that tutorial. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Kat Scribner said...

Your 7 shirt quilt is WONDERFUL! I love the mix and it blends so well.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...