Saturday 14 November 2015

Last block in green

It's Saturday and time to check in with Angela at soscrappy.  All year I've been making the blocks for a scrappy saw tooth star quilt and the final block has been stitched.
Swamp Angel forms the centre of the star. 

I made the Swamp Angel star block when I was first attempting some quilting and turned it into a pillow.  Of all the pillows I made at the time this was my least favourite.  (Can you figure when that was by the fabric and colour choices?)
You can see in my first attempt I didn't make the square in a square centre pop by using different colours.  I wanted to make the star the focus so made the square the same colour.   But in Angela's version I did make the distinction.   I thought I would like the block better in the smaller 6.5" format and done in a monochromatic colour scheme but .... no, Swamp Angel is not one of my favourite blocks.  Is it the colours I selected or the placement of those colours?  I don't know.  It just doesn't appeal to me.

I finished only one other small item in green.  This folded star technique made up into a cute little pincushion.  The second fabric I selected had a very rhythmic circles motif and when the rectangles were folded I didn't get a uniform colour distribution.  This fabric was to be the dark punch for the second round of star points but I have a mix of light green, white and dark green.  Had the motif been more random I  may have been able to manipulate it some.  Oh, well,  it's done and any finish is a good finish.

13 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a different Swamp Angel Star from the one you made years ago! LOVE your pin cushion done in Light/Bright GREEN. Sorry the fabrics didn't cooperate with making the points.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Hey that is WAY too cute to stick pins in! :)

Marly said...

I agree that your new swamp angel is a great improvement on the first. Perhaps six fabrics (including the borders) was just too many for one block. My first block ever was a shoo fly and even worse: I didn't understand contrast, and only used dark and medium fabrics! However, we learn!

Julierose said...

I really like that folded star and your Swamp angel star is so pretty....hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

I think Swamp Angel needs lots of contrast and about 5 colors. But I think that about every block... 8)
I love your pincushion. The colors in the middle section just dance.

Cathy said...

I LOVE your pincushion. I don't see a problem with the uneven color distribution. I made a bunch of ornaments one year with that technique. I never thought of making a pincushion.

PaulaB quilts said...

The green star is indeed an improvement, shows up the star points really well. Thanks for showing us the pincushion, a great teaching moment. Keep up the good work!

Angie said...

I agree Swamp Angel can be a problematic block, but your lime one looks great - fresh and sparkling!

scraphappy said...

I think that your second swamp angel star is a huge improvement in color placement and value. Now that you have done it twice though, it is safe to cross it off the list in favor of blocks you love.

Kate said...

Some blocks just don't appeal no matter the color, but I like the colors in your green Swamp Angel block. The pin cushion turned out beautifully too.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your projects for this week Nell!

Magpie Sue said...

The name alone would put me off this block! I think your green one is successful though.

Sheila said...

It would be difficult to use this as a pin cushion. It's just toooooo cute : )

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...