Saturday 21 May 2016

Going Green

It feels so good to be able to post again.  They say everything happens in threes and April certainly had it's share of bad luck.  First on April 11 my sister's car was hit by a young man who ran a red light.  Her car was a write off.  Then my computer crashed.  I had it repaired and it crashed again so had to go shopping for a new one.  Finally on April 21 my car was hit when a young man took a turn too quickly and lost control of his truck. The side air bags and curtain airbags deployed and the car was deemed to be a write off.  Visits to the doctor and chiropractor have both of us on the mend but all the calls to the insurance company and looking for a new vehicles have taken up so much time.

But now it's May.  My sister has her new car on the road and I finally got mine on Thursday.  My new computer has Windows 10 and I'm becoming acclimated to the new system.

Amid the turmoil I was able to get a few pieces done.
I finished up the April orange, black/brown blocks and the green and brown May blocks for the 2016 RSC quilt.  In selecting the fabrics for the Geese Blocks I decided to make the column look like chevrons and I think that turned out okay.

I've decided that it's time to make fewer large quilts and work on a few minis instead.

This one was fun to make and used up a few of the pink and brown scraps in my buckets.  (I must apologize for the photo but I haven't loaded photo shop on the new computer so what you see is what I snapped.)

I also made a few Maverick stars in orange for April and green for May.  There isn't enough difference in colour value on the green block so I may have to scrounge for a few darker brown scraps or some brighter green bits and try to make a few more.  

It's the long Victoria Day weekend in Canada and that means doing some gardening so I'm off to dig in the soil and put in some spring colour.  The tulips, grape hyacinth and donkey's ear were lovely but it's time to put in some annuals now that the threat of frost is gone.

Hop over to soscrappy and see what other green has sprouted.

19 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

WOW that's a challenging month! Hope you both are feeling much better and can relax and enjoy this wonderful weather.

Cathy said...

So sorry to hear about your April fiascos, but glad to hear you're all on the mend. I love how you did your green column, and the columns all look wonderful together!

Marly said...

What a dose of bad luck, Nell. I hope you weren't injured, but you must have got a dreadful jolt, even so!
I like your wall hanging; a very sophisticated flower arrangement.

Kate said...

So glad that neither you are your sister were hurt badly. Definitely not a fun few weeks. Hope that things are only looking up from here. I really like your RSC challenge quilt! The green chevrons look great.

LA Paylor said...

I'm seeing so many interesting pinwheels lately. They change with color placement and are quite interesting. Simple shapes done artistically. I like your row quilt idea too.

Pamela Arbour said...

It sounds like April was a bit of a nightmare. So glad to hear that things are looking up again. Your columns are looking nice. It never occurred to me that the geese could have been turned into chevrons. Thanks for sharing that.

Ivani said...

Glad the bad times was past things and everything is OK with both of you. Your geese chevron column are looking great. Sometimes we need to go with the small quilts, beautiful aplique.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun stuff going on in your sewing room in spite of all the unpleasantness. Good luck with your new car!!

gayle said...

I hope June is extra-special good to you, to make up for the awful April!
I love all your quilty projects - especially that small quilt. (I just printed off that applique pattern yesterday to prep it for a project of my own!)

PaulaB quilts said...

You are doing great with your new computer, having to learn all the new quirks. The mini is so sweet and smaller is certainly a good idea. God bless you and your sister.

Angie said...

Glad to hear you are all OK and on the mend! Your row quilt is looking great and I really like the green chevrons.

Heidi said...

Nice to have an 'extra' day this weekend after the month of challenges!
That mini looks amazing, and it'll be fun to have a finish while working on larger quilts!

Kat Scribner said...

Love your mini! I know I have that pattern in a book. I have so many wonderful books full of eye candy with patterns, and yet I don't work from them. Something's gotta change! I remember how much I love that book.

Karen said...

I am glad you or your sister really wasn't hurt. Cars can be replaced. I understand about needing a new computer. I really need to purchase a new one but I have no idea what to buy. Very pretty rainbow blocks.

Vicki in MN said...

So sorry to hear about the misfortunte accidents, glad to know you are both doing OK now. Yes dealing with insurance companies takes a great deal of time. Great projects you have in the works. I think I have that pink brown pattern and have not done it yet, but oh so cute.

make.share.give said...

So glad things are looking up! Lovely quilting.

Sandra Walker said...

Two car accidents in one month? That is NOT good, but glad you are okay and on the mend and able to get outside and enjoy this glorious weather we are having! Down here in Essex County it sure has been so hope wherever you are in Ontario it is too! Love both your RSC projects; those purple stars really glow! Cute mini; must remember to do that pinwheels surround on an orphan appliqué block I won from my guild.

Summer said...

Hoping that you are doing fine ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Sheila said...

Hey girl! I hope you are feeling better these days. A lot thrown at you in a short amount of time. Please take care and keep sewing.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...