Saturday 27 May 2017

Going Strong on the Greens

My life has not been my own for over a month now and I have found it difficult to find sewing time.  The Monday after Easter, my sister took the children of  a Syrian family she is helping transition into our community rock climbing at an indoor venue.  It was a day off school for the children but the parents both had to work.  Although old enough to be at home on their own, she felt it would be a long day for them and hoped to provide a morning of fun and activity for the two boys.  Well ... to make a long story short, she decided to try rock climbing too and  had a misadventure.  The two second slip down the wall, with a not too glorious landing, has resulted in serious damage to her legs.  There were no breaks but she is still not able to bear weight and has been in a wheelchair  for over a month now.  Between visits to the doctor, physiotherapy, x-rays, MRI's, nuclear bone scans, blood work, etc. etc. and doing all the laundry, cleaning, gardening, meal prep and shopping that she usually helped with I have been one very busy girl.  ( I have become quite adept at helping to transfer her from the wheelchair into the car and then folding the wheelchair and stowing it in the back seat.)

This week I did eke out some time for sewing and am almost caught up on my projects for this year's RSC.
Project two was the nine patches and hourglass blocks.


I love the bright spring like greens but felt I should throw in a little dark for some contrast.


This is turning out to look just fine. I wonder which colour will be next to join the party.

Project three is the cracker blocks. More lovely spring greens.


And here they join the mix with January to April colours.


Project four is some English Paper Piecing for tumbling blocks and I have to get those prepped for some hand stitching.  I really should have done  this first so I had some hand work to take along to all the appointments.

I previously mentioned that I was attending a guild workshop and would be working on the house blocks I won in a block lotto.  I put the rows of houses together but will be quilting them in a quilt as you go style.  Some initial quilting is complete on one row and I'll have to work hard to find time to quilt the others and join the rows.  I would love to embellish this quilt with some neighbourhood touches.  I'll see how that goes but street names such as Dots Circle, Batik Boulevard and  Bunny Hill Lane are coming to mind.  Wouldn't it be fun to put up some street signs?  And perhaps  a little landscaping.  I'll see how that goes.


I haven't checked in with RSC for a while and am looking forward to some green eye candy.

11 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Wow, I can't believe you got so much done, actually anything done at all. You and your sister have had a hard few weeks. I pray things will get better soon. That should also be a lesson to us all that we can't do the things we used to do.

Deb A said...

All your green blocks look great and then they are just stunning when you have all the colors mixed together. Such pretty quilts in process. I hope your sister is on the road to recovery. She is very lucky to have you to help care for her.

LA Paylor said...

oh nell. What a horror story! Your blocks look terrific tho

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love the sewing you did eek out - but wow! What a bad thing for your sister. How lucky is she to have you tho!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your projects all look SO good!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh my goodness - I'm so sorry about what is happening with your sister. I hope there is some relief in sight for her, and you! I enjoyed looking at your blocks - I especially like the nine patches and hourglass blocks. That will be such a pretty quilt!

Magpie Sue said...

Holy cow! I can't believe you accomplished as much as you did what with having to help your sister so much. I sure hope she eventually gets back on her feet - literally. Poor thing, what an awful thing to have happen, and all in the name of trying to do a good deed!

scraphappy said...

So sorry to hear about the rock climbing misadventure. Glad that you were finally able to find a bit of sewing time though. The nine patches look great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Good call on throwing some dark GREEN 9-Patch blocks into the mix!! Sorry to hear of your sister's fall... exactly the reason I was less than thrilled when my boys took up the sport. Hope this month will see much improvement for her!!

Cathy said...

That is horrible news about your sister. I'm sending good wishes and prayers for her to make a complete (and speedy!) recovery, for both your sakes. Given all that, it's a wonder you got any sewing done. But sew you did, and the blocks are all marvelous! xo

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

I really like your houses!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...