Friday 27 February 2015

Pink Curves Ahead

Well, it's in! Whoo hoo!
Actually it was in a week ago but I just didn't have time to drive out to the quilt shop to pick it up.   What is it that has me so excited?  My new ruler. 
Now I know it doesn't look like much but you can do so many things with it.  When you buy the ruler you get a free pattern and if you go to their website Jenny Pedigo and Helen Robinson have additional free patterns and about 28 others you can purchase or you can just play with the ruler and come up with your own.  There are also three videos that show how to use the ruler to create blocks on their blog www.sewkindofwonderful.blogspot.com.  The instruction is very easy to follow.  As suggested I  played with scrap fabric before beginning an actual project.  Here is my pink play with my new ruler. 
This is the oval cut.   I saw a quilt,  Beads on a String, made up something like this and played with a way of joining the blocks to create the look.  I'm not happy with the proportion but it might look different if I had a few more in a line.  These blocks are great if you want to make a modern looking quilt and I'm sure would look great done up scrappy.  They also demonstrate a crescent cut.  My free pattern is for a table runner using the crescent block. Here's one I made for practice.  I'll have to be more careful when trimming; I didn't mind the 1/4 inch carefully enough and the corners don't meet in the centre as they should.  They're close but not dead on.
 
I looked at the layout for the RSC blocks and I figured I would need the same number of pink and blue 2.5" squares and background squares for the alternate blocks so got the blue and the pink put together.  (When I added the link below I noticed that Angela had the instructions for the pink alternate blocks posted.  I figured it right.)
 
 That's a wrap for pink for February.  Check in with Angela  to see what colour she has in store for March.

10 comments:

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

Cool ruler! Hmmmm March? Might it be Green!

quiltedfabricart said...

cool ruler! your kitties look like they are in a vase.wouldn't it be fun to put fish in the vases and have the kitties on the outside looking in? I could see the ruler being used to make a weddding ring quilt.

scraphappy said...

Those pink and blue squares look so pretty next to one another. Looks like lots of fun with your new ruler. Congratulations on mastering the curve! Always so tricky.

Scrappy quilter said...

Hmmm another ruler that looks pretty cool.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Cool ruler! Were the curves pretty easy to stitch?

Marly said...

That ruler looks like being a great asset; I must add that to my wish list. Nice collection of pink four-patches.

Kate said...

Very cool ruler, I love the pink kitty blocks.

Jennie in GA said...

The crescent looks almost like a simplified Double Wedding Ring. Interesting!

Sheila said...

Cool ruler! I'm going to enjoy watching you use it this year.

Pamela Arbour said...

I got that ruler recently as well. I am looking forward to playing with it. You have encouraged me to try it. Way to go on your pinks!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...