Saturday 15 August 2015

Lost a Week?

Last Saturday was a busy day.  I was up early to bake a blueberry zucchini cake with lemon buttercream to bring along to a family birthday.  I used blueberries and some chocolate mint leaves from the garden to decorate it a bit.  It was a hit and will be a favourite of mine each year when we harvest the zucchini from the garden. 



I managed to find a few minutes last Sunday to finish stitching the last block in my shop hop quilt.
I thought I'd share it as the block is indigo and white.  That dot on the "i" in is looks a little wonky.  I'll have to see if I can do something about that.
 
It was good to carve out some quilting time this week.  The RSC blocks were first on the agenda.
Road to California
Bull's Eye
Teddy Roosevelt's Bow Tie
 
And I got the row put together and attached to rows 3 and 4.

 
Angela has designed a very lovely quilt.  Can't wait for the brown, light green and orange blocks and a finished top. 
 
Our local guild allowed us to borrow quilting books over the summer break for the first time.  I had admired Crosses Quilt by Kaffe Fassett in Kaffe Fassett's Quilt Road.
While on the shop hop I picked up a Marti Michell Catalina Jelly Roll and made short work of cutting it up into the 2.5 inch squares.  Then it was time to play on the design wall.
That looked pretty good and the stitching began.  The quilt top went together very quickly.  Once it was all sewn together I needed some additional fabric for the borders.  Do you think I could remember in which shop I had bought the Jelly Roll?  Not a chance!  So I spent some time surfing the internet to see which shops had a website and posted their fabric.  Thankfully the shop was just 45 minutes away from home and I set out on Friday after lunch to make my purchase.  After supper it was back to the sewing machine to get those borders done.
I decided to finish off some of the crosses into the border.  I like the break this created between the busyness of the cross blocks and the floral border.  The top finished at 57.5" x 69.5" - a nice lap sized quilt.  It's fresh and colourful.  Now let's hope I can find some backing fabric in my stash so I can get this top to my quilting buddy for some long arm quilting magic.
I'll be checking in with Angela and doing some blog hopping to see what scrappy goodness has been happening this week.

 


 
 


11 comments:

Sheila said...

Great RSC blocks. LOVE the crosses quilt! Beautiful prints. Wow!

Katie Z. said...

Your indigo blocks are splendid, and I love the pluses quilt!

gayle said...

I love how you trailed the pluses into the border!
Your rainbow progress is looking great, too. It's going to be a beautiful quilt!

Cathy said...

What a way to add some zing to zucchini!

Love the Pluses. Looks difficult to keep those crosses straight.

I used to check out quilt books from the library.

Sue SA said...

Your indigo blocks look great all stitched up, I love the way the colours graduate. The Crosses quilt top looks amazing.

Angie said...

So many goodies to drool over! The blueberry zucchini cake sounds like a great idea - I love blueberries! Your RSC sampler is looking great - it will be fun to see how Angela finishes everything up. The Crosses quilt is lovely. I like your idea to continue the crosses into the inner border and the outer border fabric is gorgeous!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your RSC Quilt is coming along nicely and I absolutely LOVE that you finished off some of your crosses in your new quilt!! Nice idea.

scraphappy said...

The crosses into the border is a great way to finish off your quilt. Lovely progress on your RSC blocks. It is so much fun to start to see the finished rows coming together. Fabulous!

Mystic Quilter said...

You have a collection of lovely indigo fabrics and your crosses quilt is a winner - thanks for putting me on to a good use for jelly rolls.

Kate said...

Wow you had a very busy week. Your RSC sampler quilt is looking great. Love your Crosses quilt! The colors are perfect!

Lori in South Dakota said...

Your blocks are nice but I'd love the zucchini cake recipe!!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...