Saturday 1 August 2015

Deep Dark Indigo for August

Angela selected indigo as the colour for August and it sent me scrambling to look for some in my stash as there was virtually almost none in the scraps.  I was sure I had some mixed in with my Japanese fabrics but found I had used it up in a little wall hanging.  I managed one more shop for shop hop so picked up a few fat quarters for some variety.
I think everyone has their own idea as to what indigo is.  To me it is that rich dark blue used to dye denim and found some early blue printed fabrics.  I have some indigo with blue and some blue with indigo that I will use this month.  There's one interesting paisley print in there that may find its way into a block.

I've been trying to finish up the blue blocks from shop hop and last Sunday I was to finish this one up but life got in the way and it didn't happen.
The embroidery is to say, "The love of sewing is our common thread."  I've finished a bit more during odd minutes here and there but tomorrow is my target day for completion.

The red-blue pairs are finished:

 well almost - I see I'll have to re-stitch one seam to get those triangles to match up.  Sometimes those darn geese just have a mind of their own and stray from the flock.
The crossed canoes are new to me.  I've seen them but never made the block before.
I love the way these stars are dancing - every turn gives a different perspective.
The last shop I visited featured Grandmother's Fan.  The shop owner loves to embellish with lots and lots of hand stitching so her fan looks much fancier than my poor version.
And finally, the aim of this whole post - indigo.  This boxy star will be added to my collection.  I just love the two floral prints in this block.

Now I'm off to see how others have finished off their red.  Has anyone made a start with indigo?  Stop by so scrappy to find out.



8 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Gorgeous red and blue blocks!
I love the crossed canoes... I should probably make a whole quilt of them some day :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your RED and blue block pairs look very happy together. Good luck with your INDIGO sewing for August's RSC! That Boxy Star was a good start.

Kate said...

Your red and blue block pairs look great and so does the boxy stars.

PaulaB quilts said...

Wonderful collection of indigos you came up with and the boxy star is perfect with those two fabrics, just enough contrast.

Mari said...

Hey, that's not a "poor" version of the fan--I think it looks great! All of your reds and blues look great together. Crossed canoes turned out great, almost like a star itself.

scraphappy said...

The crossed canoe block is beautiful. I did a paper pieced version for a sampler quilt long ago, but the canoes were much skinnier. You managed to put together a beautiful collection of indigos.

Sheila said...

I love all your blocks. That Boxy Squares quilt pattern in on my bucket list.

Jackie J said...

Your blocks look great. Looking forward to seeing them in a quilt.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...