Saturday 17 October 2015

Catching Up

Where has the time gone?  I can't believe this is my first post for October!  There was a flurry of activity around here from the end of September until just after Thanksgiving Day but, I finally had some time this week to finish off September and get to work on the October RSC blocks.
Here are September's blocks.  I like the way the orange plays with the red and pink alternate blocks.

The first brown block turned out pretty well as did the second one.

It was so nice to put the rows together.  I am anticipating November and the last two blocks. 

Can you tell I'm anxious to get this one done? The star points are all ready for the last centre blocks and the alternate blocks are all stitched up and joined to the yellow stars. 
It's hard to get a good picture of the quilt to date - too big for the design wall and  I just can't get the whole thing in the picture when it's on the floor. Angela's done a great job designing this one. 

I'll be linking up with Angela at soscrappy and checking to see what brown scrappy goodness everyone has come up with this week.

A neighbouring guild held their Quilt Show this weekend.  Here are a few interesting pictures:
You really had to step away from the quilt to appreciate this original design.  Can you see the cat looking back at you?  Jennifer Johnston did a great job on this one.
Evidently this little block with the white ribbon has 292 pieces in it.  The block is about 5 inches square.  The quilter, Kathryn Caie, called the quilt Nearly Insane.  It took her 5 years to complete.
Here's a block from a quilt called Insanity.  I've seen this template used to make a mini quilt but the quilter, Susan Butler, made a full bed size quilt.  I can't imagine cutting and stitching all these mini bits again and again.  Think I would be insane when finished. ;-)
This wall hanging was spectacular  - my favourite in the show.  The quilter, Judy Pearce, was inspired by the old spirograph (Do you remember that child's toy?) .   She quilted the design and then appliqued doilies and embellished with crystals.  The photo just can't capture all of that and do it justice.  When I first saw the quilt I thought it was machine embroidery but then I read the label and wow!  Exquisite quilting.




13 comments:

scraphappy said...

Your quilt is fabulous! Just those two missing star centers to go! I am so excited to start seeing blocks come together.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh your blocks are just lovely and the quilt show eye candy was a nice bonus! :)

Marly said...

Nell, you are going to be finished before the end of the year! All quilted and bound I mean! I thought I had a lot joined together, but I'm waiting for the signal on light green!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your excitement does show! Thanks for the sharing the quilt show photos, too.

Magpie Sue said...

Your rainbow sampler blocks are looking fantastic. It really is a great quilt plan Angela created. Thanks for the pix from the quilt show, although I think several of their members ARE insane!

Angie said...

Your RSC sampler is looking great - can't wait to see it all finished! Thanks for the mini quilt show. The spirograph quilt is amazing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your BROWN blocks turned out nicely and your RSC Sampler is going to be AWESOME!! Thank you for a small tour of the Quilt Show.

Jen said...

That's my cat quilt! Thanks for the kind words. It was really fun to stand there today and watch people stand back and realize what the picture was.

PaulaB quilts said...

I'm sure you are ahead of everyone in the star quilt completion. Wonderful work. Thanks for the show photos. I go insane just doing 150 easy strip blocks for a twin quilt. Cannot imagine the dedication it takes to do those.

sunny said...

I love your quilt! And there was some amazing talent at that Quilt Show!! Wow.

Kate said...

Your sampler is turning out beautifully!

Jennifer said...

thanks for stopping by! your RSC quilt is fantastic! I can't wait to get started on mine. (and you're right: those reds, pinks and oranges look so lovely together!)

Sheila said...

I'm excited to see your rainbow star quilt come together! Looking awesome so far.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...