Tuesday 9 February 2016

Solution Found

After looking at the Scrappy Mountains on Bonnie Hunter's blog I decided on a few changes to my quilt top.  First, I removed the bottom row of mountains; then added a thin neutral sashing and finally a 2.5 inch border of scrappy bits left over.  Here's the finished flimsy:
The afternoon sun was streaming in the window yesterday. The colours don't read true but it gives a good idea of the finish.  This measures 0.75 inches narrower than suggested and 0.5 inches shorter but I think it's close enough not to be noticed.  The binding will be the same neutral as the sashing so frame the border.  I think it will be nice.

When I was looking at Bonnie's mountains I notice she did not match the upslope and downslope of the mountains as I did.  She made hers even scrappier by mixing things up.  I think this may have helped me with some of the yellow patches.  I could have spread them out through the quilt a little more.  I'll have to make another and give that a try.

3 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh! Your Scrappy Mountain quilt top turned out beautifully!! I really like the modifications you made to Bonnie's pattern.

Ivani said...

That's it. You found the solution and it is a beautiful quilt. Congrats!

Cathy said...

Oh, what a wonderful solution!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...