Saturday 6 February 2016

Almost Done!

Yeah!  I'm so excited.  My friend, Mary, finished quilting the 2015 RSC quilt.  Here's just a teaser -

I have beautiful feathers circling each of the star blocks and each star centre is quilted differently.  I have to trim the extra backing and batting and put on the binding then photograph the finished quilt but I have to say I just love, love, love the quilting.

During the week I finished a 4 x 9 layout of the scrappy mountains but now have a dilemma.  Our guild has set specific sizes for the Comfort Quilt projects and the 4 x 9 layout falls short of the size requirements.  Have you ever seen this quilt with borders?  I would have to add a 3 inch border to the sides and a 1.5" border top and bottom to bring it up to the  size for a comfort quilt.  I think this would be awkward looking.  Should I add the border or just submit the top as is? 

 
Brown and pink for February - Teddy bears and roses or as Angela referred to the selection baby lambs.  I made a few 6 inch blocks using the colours.
What about the floral for the rectangles and the brown for the squares?  Would that work? Could I work out a pattern for the next column?  ( I think this is the block she has selected for February but  I haven't checked the blog for a few days .) 

I'm late today but I'm linking up with SoScrappy and stopping by to see what others have been up to this week.
 

9 comments:

Karen said...

The quilting looks amazing. I look forward to seeing the other side of the quilt. I like the scrappy mountain blocks. Sorry I don't have a suggestion on what so to make it the correct size.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Can't WAIT to see the FRONT of your RSC Quilt!!! Scrappy Mountains looks lovely and borders would be fine, too. Maybe plain borders with a scrappy binding? Yes. That works!

Cathy said...

Scrappy Mountains is gorgeous as is. I would ask the place where you are donating the quilt if it would be acceptable at that size.

I, too, am waiting to see the front of the RSC quilt!

Ivani said...

Nell, Take a look as Bonnie Hunter made the borders for her quilts Scrappy Mountain Majestic.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com.br/2005/06/scrappy-mountain-majesties.html

Beautiful quilting can't wait to see the front.
Have a great week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like your Scrappy Mountain quilt! I need to put that one on my list!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your Mountains and don't they go together quickly.

scraphappy said...

Your February blocks are beautiful. Love the quilting in the star blocks of the sampler.

PaulaB quilts said...

Your mountain quilt is so lovely the way it is. Would it be possible to add another row of mountains and then a simple border? Why not ask if there is,a size range. Our charity,quilts always are flexible. Or just keep it for a gift in the future. The quilting on your other one is lovely, accenting the blocks.

Kate said...

The quilting looks spectacular! Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...