Friday 26 February 2016

Second Chance

It's the last Saturday in February and time to put the brown and pink scraps away.  As I was doing a bit of a tidy up I spotted 1.5 inch strips of brown.  I must have cut them for sashing in another quilt and tucked them into a small bag of brown bits.  Although I had made the Patience Corner blocks for the RSC Column Quilt I wasn't happy with them;  they had no spark.  Here was an opportunity to use up some strips, clear them out of my scraps and add some spark to the column. 


Just look at the difference!  New column on the left, original on the right!  Now the column looks like it belongs in the quilt.  What a difference! Changing out the outer corners for a brighter pink  gave the blocks some life.  I'm so glad I took the time to remake the column. 

I'm off to a workshop - mystery quilt this Saturday so may be connecting to RSC a little late.  I'm looking forward to a day of quilting with friends - fun, laughs and great food!

10 comments:

Mari said...

Both the columns are good-looking, but the pink does add something! What will you do with the others? :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

You are SEW right! That new BROWN column works MUCH better with January's BLUE column. Good call!!!

Angie said...

Love the new Patience Corners - they look just right with the January blocks!

gayle said...

Oh, yes! Much better! Good thing you found those strips, because what a difference the new blocks make.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It is amazing what a difference the pink makes in your Patience Corners blocks! But I actually like both of those columns surrounding the blue stars. Maybe you can keep them both!

Cathy said...

I like all the Patience Corners blocks. And who knows, maybe including both might be just the thing in your RSC quilt. But if not, you'll find them a good home!

Pamela Arbour said...

I think it was very clever of you to make another column of brown. I don't it will hurt to have two of them since they are so different even though they are the same. It didn't even cross my mind to make another column. I liked that block(column). Good job!

Kate said...

The pink really does add a bit of spark, but I like both. Depending upon what the next color is, you may find that the all brown works better.

Magpie Sue said...

What a difference! Good call. :- ) And now you have a column of blocks you may choose to incorporate later on, who knows!

scraphappy said...

The pink is a great addition to your block. Best of all, you used up twice as many scraps.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...