Saturday 7 January 2017

A Passion for Purple

Happy New Year to all!  I am hoping for a calmer 2017.  I had so many distractions and calls for my assistance with a number of different groups that my quilting time was greatly affected  in 2016.  To get off to a better start I decided to set a goal for myself so I could measure my success:  "Quilt every day for at least half an hour.  This could be looking for a pattern or fabric; planning a quilt, cutting or sewing.  Have a handwork project ready at all times - embroidery, beading or other embellishment, applique, binding, knitting."  I also looked at all the quilt tops hanging on hangers waiting to become a quilt sandwich and have identified twelve that I would like to finish this year.  

For the RSC I will work on two quilts I found in Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts compiled and edited by Patricia Wilens.  The first is called Cracker.  Here are the cracker blocks I finished in the RSC colour for January.
There's a lesson or two I learned when making these blocks. 
 #1 Always have good lighting when reading the instructions. 
 #2 If you're not sure if it's 1/4 or 3/4 wait until morning before trimming.
 

Yup, the trimming size was to 3/4 not 1/4.  I wondered after trimming and actually basted the blocks together  before realizing the 1/4 had to be wrong.  Thank goodness I only made 3 blocks and not all 12 purple blocks.  I've definitely been away from the machine too long to make such an error.

The second is Nine-Patch and Hourglass.


Here are the cute little nine patches for it.  I've made the hour glass blocks for this month too but didn't get a photo.

For my handwork project I've opted to make a mini from A Few of My Favourite Miniature Quilts  by Christine Meunier.  I'll have to cut our the diamonds to piece the tumbling blocks and hope to have something to share next week.

One of my quilt groups presented a challenge.  We were to show what happened when colours were mixed.  Here is my attempt to meet the challenge.  This miniature is an adaptation of the calendar quilt that was to serve as inspiration.  It measures about 24 inches square.  I enjoyed the process and if time allows I would like to try to make a smaller original one.


Now this has to be a finish so now it's time to think about how to quilt it.  This is another goal of mine this year - practicing my machine quilting.


So many plans and I'm keeping track of my commitment on a calendar in my sewing area - yes, old fashioned paper calendar so I can see.

7 comments:

Chantal said...

Great blocks. Sorry about the trimming incident but that is an odd measure for a trim 3/4. Never heard that before. Anywho! The block you made for the colour mix challenge is just awesome!! ;^)

scraphappy said...

Glad you realized your trimming mistake before you made all the purples. Nice color blending on your miniature quilt. What a nice effect.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Pretty PURPLE blocks, but I absolutely LOVE that Challenge Quilt!!

Angie said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like you have some goals that will bring you quilting satisfaction (nirvana? ). The Cracker block is one of my favorites; your purple blocks look terrific!

Deb A said...

Nine patches are always so fun! Glad you noticed the mistake before all were made.

Cathy said...

Good luck on your quilty goals this year! Looks like you are off to a good start except for that trimming problem. I try not to make blocks that need trimming because I hate trimming!

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

Love how the "calendar" piece finished!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...