Saturday 21 January 2017

A Perfect Sidekick

I struggled with getting the size just right for doing some tumbling block English paper piecing.  The pieces just didn't come together properly with my first effort.  A friend suggested downloading paper piecing patterns from the internet but I guess I didn't know how to use them properly because it didn't make things any easier and then I found this in among my rulers.


If I increased the size of the tumbling blocks to 1.5 inches from the 1 inch finish in the pattern. Sure my mini quilt would be bigger but still small enough to count as a mini.  So I used the Sidekick to cut my freezer paper diamonds.  I cut a 1.5 inch strip and cut out the 18 diamonds I needed for the purple tumbling blocks.

I cut the fabric strips 2.5 inches in width and  placed my ruler 3/8 of an inch from the bottom of the strip.  I used the ruler to line up the bottom of my templates.  I left a 3/4 inch space between templates and ended up with diamonds all ready to stitch into lovely purple tumbling blocks.


Linking up with RSC and checking in to see what other purple fun has been happening this week.

9 comments:

newsurfiegirl said...

Wow what a great way to use your ruler to help work out how to cut the blocks. Love the purple colour too it will be a stunning quilt when it is finished!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are going to be neat blocks! I love the 3 - D effect you can get with them!

scraphappy said...

There are always lots of paths to the same end result. Glad you found a way to get your templates to work.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hoping that ruler works for you!!

Wendy F said...

Always great to find something in your sewing room that works just right. Lovely tumbling blocks!

claudia said...

Oh boy! Those are ambitious blocks! They are going to be great!

Katie Z. said...

Ooh, so pretty!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the colors of your EPP. Good idea, using the Sidekick!

Kate said...

Very pretty colors in your tumbling blocks.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...