Saturday 17 June 2017

Monkeying Around

Well my iris finally opened up and she's a beauty. (Pardon the weeds in the photo, I was waiting for another bag of mulch to be delivered before getting rid of all the weeds in this part of the garden.)

Within two days, the rest of the buds on this iris and the others also were open.  They added a lovely sunny touch to this corner of the garden.

Now on to quilty things.  The nine patch/hourglass combinations are finished in yellow.

I used up a few 1.5 inch strips to make these but had to cut into a bigger scrap to finish the required12 blocks for the quilt I plan to make.

And then it was time to let the monkeys loose again.  I am having too much fun playing around with the possibilities.  I discovered a bin full of strips tucked in a corner last week and took time on Monday to cut them into either the 2.5 or 1.5 inch strips.  I now have so much to choose from but one thing remains constant - that yellow centre square.

The dotty green fabric just makes me smile.

On Wednesday a group of quilty friends and I went to CQA and I'd like to share a few scrappy quilts with you.
Slab triangles put together to create this interesting design.

This Colour Wheel piece was so interesting.  The centre section was completed like Celtic Knots.

And how is this for scrappy.  I liked the use of neutral grey sashing and white in the blocks.

Now this one  took some thought to get the transition blocks just right.

By the way, thought you might to like to see Best in Show -------

The embroidery, bead work and other embellishment on this piece was incredible.  

That's all from me this week. Hopping over to visit with scrappy quilters over at Angela's blog link up

11 comments:

Mari said...

Until just a few weeks ago, I didn't know that irises came in yellow. Yours are lovely. They go nicely with those pretty yellow blocks!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

beautiful iris and quilt blocks and thank you for sharing quilts from the show! :)

gayle said...

I'm crazy about those monkeys!
I once had a yellow iris, and even some bronze ones. Love your bright burst of sunshine!

Angie in SoCal said...

Gorgeous iris! Love all your blocks. Thanks so much for sharing the quilt show. Blessings,

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful YELLOW in the garden AND in the sewing room!!

PaulaB quilts said...

From a glowing iris to fantastic Quilts, thanks for all the lovely photos. Have a fun week!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your yellow iris is just gorgeous, Nell! And I am still loving how your monkeys are coming together. The yellow center is such a great idea!

Angie said...

Those monkeys look like they are having too much fun! Thanks for the eye candy - the rainbow quilt with the gray & white is inspirational, for sure!

Cathy said...

I love Bearded Iris! I've never had an all yellow one. Now I don't have any. They mysteriously disappeared (I think rotted) one year when we had a brutal winter and really wet spring.

I always love a nine patch - any size but the smaller the better if you ask me.

And it's always a pleasure to see Little Monkeys out and about.

Jennifer said...

everything is looking great! thanks for stopping by- I looked back in your blog, and your RSC16 column quilt is looking good! just a few more rows and you'll be there!

Katie Z. said...

Ooh, la la!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...