Saturday 10 June 2017

Glorious Sunshine Days

It always amazes me how much more energy I seem to have when the clouds clear and the sun comes out.  What a wonderful week.  I managed to find time every day to do some stitching or at least some playing with fabric in organizing the pile of scraps (I think some of your posts have inspired me).
Not knowing how the week was going to shape  up I thought I'd better at least get the H-blocks completed.

Check.  Got that done.  Now I love to always play with the blocks as they are complete so next up was seeing how the yellow helped the overall effort.


Looking just fine.  

I always seem to have a pile of scraps on the cutting table and rather than cleaning them up into the proper bins, the Little Monkeys appeared.  The first group of Little Monkeys materialized with the HST dark side in the corners and the white  next to the centre yellow square.  I thought I'd try these opposite so the corners are light and the colour is next to the centre yellow square.  (Notice the yellow left over from the H-blocks got used up right away as light corners.  Most of the centre strips are left over from the nine patch blocks in each colour we've used to date.  This is such a wonderful little block to make to clean up all the bits left over from 3 of my RSC projects this year.)



Now look what happens when they play with the first Little Monkeys.


The centre strip in each block now has an interesting white-colour strip running through it and the hourglasses formed where the corners meet have a light-dark pattern created.  I like this look and have to make sure I keep track of numbers in each variation. 

I found a bin of fabric scraps that was forgotten in the corner of the shelf and pulled all of the 1 1/2"  and 2 1/2 " scraps or pieces that could be cut to this size without losing too much fabric and pressed them.  Now all that's left is to cut them to size, pair them up, and cut the HST units using the Easy Angle ruler and produce more Little Monkeys.   

Linking up with soscrappy and looking forward to seeing what you've been busy with this week.

11 comments:

scraphappy said...

I do like the brightness that the yellow H blocks add to the collection. On its own, yellow can overwhelm, but it is a great team player.

Teresa said...

This is turning out so cute. The yellow seems to be playing nicely with the others.

Kathy S. said...

Love those H's. That is on my to-do list some day. I need to get caught up on customer quilts and WIPS first. Someday I'm just going to work on a dozen unfinished projects. LOL.

Mari said...

Yellow does seem to brighten everything up! All your blocks look really good!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Nell, I love what you're doing with your H blocks and monkeys! The alternating light and dark corners when the monkeys are together is such a neat effect, one I didn't think of with mine. It's always great to see other people's ideas!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy "H" blocks paired with merry Monkey blocks made for a FABULOUS week of YELLOW sewing for the RSC!!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Your monkey blocks look great. I love how the yellow pops with your H blocks. Great job!

PaulaB quilts said...

The H blocks are looking so good together. The yellows give a bright touch. The monkeys appear to be two different blocks entirely, a great idea.

Cathy said...

We must have the same taste in quilt blocks! I've made both an H block quilt and Little Monkey quilt. I had Little Monkeys on my bed all winter long so I could wake up to lots of color.

Your quilts are looking great. Keep going!

Jo said...

Yellow is bright and happy. Nice blocks made

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Wonderful blocks, all! :)

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...