Saturday 17 May 2014

Green is Sprung

Well with all the rain this past week the grass is definitely greener and the leaves are opening up on the trees.  Looks like spring has sprung!  I am so happy with the new greens I picked up.  The four blocks I made for RSC this week are so cute!

Courthouse steps has nice contrast.
Roman steps is also a combination of old and new fabrics.
Stacked coins has a mix of old and new fabrics.

Boxed kite is all new fabrics. 
Just love the little kitty among all the dots.

I used one of the green slabs to make some flying geese.  They are so dull compared to the new fabrics.  Don't you agree?


What's really interesting about doing the RSC is seeing how colours have changed over the years.  I think fabrics have become more vibrant and colour combinations more exciting.  Could it be the influence of the modern quilt designers?  Have Kaffe Fassett's bold and intense colours influenced other fabric designers?  Or am I just getting more daring?  What do you think?



 

11 comments:

Angie said...

Love the dots and kitty in your Boxed Kite block!

Melinda said...

It really is interesting the changes that occur in fabric colors. I sure wish I had been using my stash all along so I wouldn't feel guilty buying more of today's fabrics. My stash is mostly from the 90's and early 2000's, at which point I realized I had too much to ever use and started to pull back. Not completely, mind you, but with less abandonment. Love your blocks with your new fabrics - so very cheery.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I agree the newer fabrics are much more vibrant. It takes a bit of adjustment.

Karen said...

Awesome blocks. The kitty in the block made me smile,

Terri said...

Love your blocks!
Hugs

Pattilou said...

I've got some scraps saved for some coins. I love seeing someone else's. The brights do contrast with the more earthy tones. Your mixture looks very much like mine!

Dasha said...

Newer fabrics are definitely more vibrant. Last week I began a medallion quilt in 90s fabrics, and tossed it after making 2 rows. It was just too dull. Your fabric choices are lovely.
Perhaps you could try to pick half and half, so that you use up the old fabrics. Or hold an on-line sale.

Gina said...

Love the stacked coins block fabric.All your blocks are great xx

scraphappy said...

I do think our color preferences continue to evolve, but it is also dependent upon available choices. I love your happy fresh colors, but the oldies do have a place too.

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks! I think you are right, colors have gotten brighter, not as murky as they used to be.

Sheila said...

Love your blocks.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...