Saturday 24 May 2014

Going Green

Well things are definitely going green in my back yard.  Even the smoke bush has signs of leaves though they aren't green.  I love this time of year when all the different greens come to play.  The mulch is down so hopefully when those lovely yellow blooms go to seed along the walking trail they won't find it easy to germinate in the garden. 
I didn't do much quilting at the beginning of the week.  I had a few books on my shelf that were calling to me - two that needed to be read for book clubs and a few others.  After finishing the 4th book I took to quilting.




Here's the Thrifty block.  Can you tell I'm thinking of getting out into the garden? 

And down below is Monkey Wrench.  Just love those new fabrics.

I've been eyeing a Layer Cake purchased over a year ago and finally decided what to do with it.  I thought the fabrics in the layer cake were modern looking and needed a modern approach.  The local library has a wonderful collection of quilting books and I found Simply Retro by Camille Roskelley.  I'm making "Framed" with my Juggling Summer by Moda .  The blocks are sewn together into rows and the sashing strips are sewn together.  Here they are laid out on the design floor (too big for the wall).
This is not my usual style but I think it's what the fabric needed.  I'm not sure if the sashing will get attached to the rows today or on Monday but I'm hoping for a finished flimsy by Tuesday.  Now the great weather and my garden are calling so I'll link up with soscrappy and heed the call.

7 comments:

scraphappy said...

Framed is really a nice pattern. I always love the look of modern quilts and wonder why I don't do them more often. Maybe it is about the fabric. Speaking of fabric. What cute dots on your Shoofly! So cute -- just makes me smile.

make.share.give said...

The weather and garden are calling us outside, too! Beautiful work!

Jo said...

It makes a change from the darker greens. This will make a good mix in a scrap quilt. Brighter greens make a fresh quilt

Quilter Kathy said...

That pattern is perfect for those fabrics!
Love your green blocks!

Katie Z. said...

Very nice blocks!

Jackie J said...

Your quilt is looking great!

Jackie J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...