Saturday 25 October 2014

Last Saturday for Brown

This morning I'm linking up with Angela over at Rainbow Scrap Challenge.   All the brown blocks she's posted for October are done.   I took this picture on Thursday morning but when I went to check out some of my favourite blogs I discovered that she'd posted another block.
                    This morning I finished off the last one and here it is hot off the cutting mat.  This one used up all the little odds and ends from the previous blocks.  Bonus!
 
I also found time, while watching a little TV, to put the binding on a quilt that was made at a quilt retreat back in September.  Everyone in the group brought 2.5" strips and a few 2.5" black and white squares.  We set up two of the machines and went to town sewing the strips together end to end.  We then took the two ends of what seemed to be a mile long strip and sewed the sides together.  We continued in this way until we created a piece of fabric that was about 64 inches long and 162 inches wide which was then divided into three quilt tops.  One of the group members quilted the tops on her long arm machine.  Three of us then took on the final task of binding.  Here's just one of the very scrappy quilts that will be donated to a local group. 

16 comments:

scraphappy said...

Love the string block. It is such a fun way to use up all the bits and pieces. Great work on getting caught up!

Marly said...

Great blocks; I especially like the last one you've got such a variety of brown tones.

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks! Congrats on being all caught up.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Great blocks! I love the 2.5 inch strip quilt. They are fun to make - and fast!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great way to generate scrappy comfort quilt tops!!!

Mari said...

What a great idea for tops from the retreat. And all a cooperative effort, too. Your blocks look great too!

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

Well done Nellie!!
Should be fun at the next guild meeting.

Katie Z. said...

Your blocks are lovely!

Terri said...

What a fun strip quilt to make. Sounds like you all had fun.
Love your newest block, too. Great planning to use up all the scraps.
Hugs

Edith said...

Cute little brown block and I really like your Retreat's twist on the Jelly Roll Race idea, lovely quilt, thanks for sharing this.

Jeanne said...

Great blocks! Your strippy quilt looks wonderful, also.

LA Paylor said...

hot off the cutting mat!so funny
LeeAnna at not afraid of color

make.share.give said...

Nice work! I'm becoming more and more convinced I need to do a jelly roll race. The black and white squares add a nice little touch.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your great selection of blocks and the string quilt is gorgeous!

Cathy said...

Cute blocks. Nice donation quilt.

Marsha Cooper said...

I've seen brown, gray, and black in a new light this month with the challenge.

Aren't the jelly roll quilts fun to make? I have a retreat coming up next week. I can't wait!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...