Friday 31 October 2014

Light Blue Round Up

The temperatures are dropping up our way and areas further north have received a dump of snow today.  It probably won't stay but it has been cold enough for snow.  Angela's choice of pale blue is very appropriate considering the kind of weather moving in our way.
I'm writing this on Friday night between rounds of trick or treaters.  We've had over 70 so far and there are still kids out on the street. Hope the treats hold out.
Now on to quilting matters.  I finished the last three brown, grey...dark blocks.
When I went to check my stash this morning I had about 5 light blue fabrics - not enough to make my boxy stars.  I discovered I'm not a light blue type - my blues were either greyed or had a green undertone.  And I needed 8 different fabrics for my Boxy Stars so I had to go shopping to pick up a few more bits, some fat quarters and some half yard cuts.  Two of the fabrics may be a bit dark and may not be used. 
Some of my light blues had quite a bit of yardage, 2 - 2.5 yards.  I bought them to make a wintery type quilt several years ago but didn't get further than buying the fabric.  You know how that is.  Great thought but fleeting ;-).   How are you doing with your light blue round up? 
Saturday morning update!!!
It snowed!!!  Just a light dusting but the first of the season.  The temperature outdoors was 0 Celcius - the freezing point.  Brr!  I'm not quite ready for this.  I hope we have a few warm days yet so I can put my garden to bed for the winter and get all my outdoor furniture safely stored.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Lovely blue fabrics. I can't believe you had snow! In the UK we are having exceptionally warm weather. I've even been sitting in the garden soaking up the rays!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Pretty baby blues - I love them but typically not all by themselves.

My sister in MI had snow yesterday, too. We had our first freeze advisory last night but I didn't see any frost this morning. It is definitely colder, though.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Nice fabrics. I had a hard time finding light blues as well, but I think I have it taken care of. I put the garden to bed yesterday because we were also due to have snow overnight. It ended up not snowing here, but we will have a hard freeze tonight, so I guess I was right on time! Lovely snow photo!

scraphappy said...

Ah the ghosts of quilts never made. I think we've all shopped for a quilt but never gotten around to starting it. Glad you are putting those blues to good use. Hard to believe the snow is already here. Brrr. Try to stay warm.

Katie Z. said...

I have lots of blues, but I have noticed I'm whittling down the lights. I have trouble using them as I tend to prefer white or cream for backgrounds. It's interesting to analyze our habits, isn't it?

No snow here, but it was 26 this morning!

Marly said...

Nice collection of pale blues. I think I may have to go and buy some too, as my supply is definitely low.

Mari said...

We had snow too! Ick! And I have the same problem with light blues. I guess I just prefer different colors. I'm sure we'll both come up with something!

Deb A said...

Love that you had to go get some light blues! Snow! We are at the beach in Florida and it is chilly in the low 60's and breezy today... but I got to meet our host Angela in person!

Sheila said...

Lovely light blues. I've had to add light colors to my stash the last few years. I'm drawn to dark, bright floors.

Mystic Quilter said...

Poor you having to go shop for more light blue fabrics!!! You seem to have a good selection now. This was my problem - not enough L blues at all but I held off on the shopping as I had just put an order in for KF fabrics from the USA.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...