Friday 7 November 2014

Week Two in Light Blue

It's been a busy week but I finally found time on Thursday to get caught up with the RSC blocks. 
Here's top row Twinkly Star and Zig Zag and bottom row Quarter Log Cabin and Road to Oklahoma.
I had a few problems with Double X but after I adjusted the size for Blue 2 it came together just right.
It was good to use up some of these blue fabrics.  The one in the bottom left corner had a 1994 copyright date on it. Can't believe it's been kicking around for 10 years and never used.  (I really am not a light blue person.)  I've played around with the arrangement of the Boxy Stars and to date have 11 blocks.  I need 12 but am having trouble deciding what to do.  What do you think?

If I keep this arrangement I need something to balance the dark purples.  Perhaps a dark gray?  That would mean shopping as I don't have many gray's.  I could move the blue one up beside the yellow and then make another bright coloured block.  What about a bright red?  The red one I made is very dark.  That would make two blues, two greens and two reds.  Hmmm?

Here's the Wonky Courthouse Steps.  I had to dig into the yellow collection again and used up a few of the old Robyn Pandolf fabrics.
And I whipped out the orange scraps to make an orange Zig Zag block.
Then I pulled out all of the blocks I've made to date and tried playing with several different arrangements.  What a challenge!  If I had a plan in advance it would have been a bit easier to determine how many of each colour but Angela selected the blocks for the month and the colours so replicating Angela's layout seemed the thing to do.
Here are all the blocks laid out.  Now all I have to do is figure out if I want sashing, corner stones, or just a border.  I know if I add sashing it will make piecing the quilt so much easier.  With the wide variety of blocks matching up seams will be a challenge.  How are you doing with your RSC projects?

8 comments:

Marly said...

Don't your blue blocks look sweet altogether? I didn't want to use sashing either, but I think you have a point there about matching seams, so I'll be doing sashing. For your boxy stars; how about another pink or red?

Chantal said...

Lots of eye candy on this post. Love it. I would go with red for the boxy star; red is always a good choice lol. For the RSC quilt, I would add a sashing, even if it is only 1 1/2 wide, it would give the eye a chance to see each different block individually. Just saying. Great work all around.

Julie in GA said...

I like the idea of adding a bright red block to your Boxy Stars. All of your projects look fantastic!

Angie said...

Cute blocks and fun to see both of your projects laid out!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely to see your blocks all laid out like this, the diagonal setting will be amazing.

Karen said...

All your blocks are great. I love your boxy star blocks.

Deb A said...

I'd go with a black block for the boxy star. Love your RSC all laid out. I agree a small sashing. I'm thinking cornerstones in the rainbow of colors...

Sheila said...

Love your blue blocks.
I think a bright red would look nice as the 12th block.
LOVE your sampler block quilt layout! I sashed mine to avoid all those seams.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...