Friday 21 November 2014

Flimsy is Done!

The view out my back window is a winter wonderland.  I am so grateful that we live in an area not affected by lake effect snow.  Poor Buffalo! 
I leave the blossoms on my Hydrangea over the winter.  The brown blossoms add some lovely textural detail against the whiteness of the snow.  They looked like little snowballs earlier this week.




Now on to quilting.  I started sashing with the icy blue but I just wasn't loving it.  Some of the blocks were just a little under 6.5" and the columns of sashing just weren't lining up as they should.









So I tried cornerstones to continue the diagonal colour pattern.  Much nicer!  And I could fudge it to make the blocks and sashing line up perfectly.








Here's the finished flimsy.  I don't think it needs a border.  I'll just bind it with the same icy blue as the sashing.  Thanks Angela for providing this sew along RSC project. 










The last little bit of quilting I did this week was Clue 3 over at Humble Quilts.  All of my short little 1.5" bits are sewn together and I now have 5 units on the design wall.  Wonder what's next?







15 comments:

Terri said...

Love your rainbow sampler and the solution added a lot to the loveliness.
Hugs

Janet said...

Oh my I LOVE the sampler. So wonderful with the rainbow of colour.

scraphappy said...

What fun little cornerstones. Such cute little pops of color.

Ellen said...

Your sample is wonderful and the addition of the cornerstones makes such a huge difference.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your sampler quilt looks awesome Nellie! And your mystery Cascadia looks wonderful too! I hope to catch up to you by Monday!

Katie Z. said...

Your sampler blocks are beautiful! I love all the variations we've put together of the same project!

Kate said...

Your Rainbow Sampler turned out beautifully. I'm going to try to get my to fit without corner stones. Cross your fingers that it works.

Sheila said...

Your sampler quilt is beautiful!!! I love it. The cornerstones added a nice touch. Wish I had done that to my quilt.

Dasha said...

Wow! You have finished the top! Mine will be just blocks for a while I think. Looks great with the little cornerstones too.

make.share.give said...

The cornerstones are a perfect addition! Wonderful job.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh so wonderful!!! Love all your blocks together - and I think you made the perfect decision on how to sash it!

LA Paylor said...

it looks so good!! Leeanna at not afraid of color

Edith said...

Your RSC quilt is gorgeous, and the colourufl cornerstones are just the right touch.

Cathy said...

Beautiful RSC sampler. It's fun seeing what everyone does for the layout.

Kathy S. said...

Wow!!! Your flimsy looks great. I am definitely going to try to keep up with the 2015 blocks. I love the layout!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...