Saturday 29 November 2014

Last Weekend in November

I've been feeling under the weather for the better part of the week so haven't done as much quilting as I would have  liked. I did manage to finish up my little quilt along project and thought I could show it here as there is a fair amount of light blue in it.  I struggled with the fabric for the binding but finally found a piece in the scraps big enough to do the job.
I wanted to hand quilt this one but the pieces were so small - 1 inch finish- that my needle had to go through so many layers and my fingers just couldn't handle it.  So it went on the machine and it's a finish.   This little quilt is a reproduction of an antique quilt that Lori saw on ebay.

I started a second mystery quilt project with Bonnie Hunter, Grand Illusion,and hopefully will have part one finished by next Friday in time for the second clue.
There are 280  half square triangle to cut and sew and some yellow and black squares to add to make a broken dishes block.  I'll see if I make the full size quilt, 84" square, or a smaller version.  I'm tempted to start with only half the number and wait to see if I like the  quilt.  If I do I can go back and finish the rest of the blocks and biggie size it.

8 comments:

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on a finish. I can't imagine hand quilting such tiny squares.

Kathy S. said...

Hope you are feeling better. I too was going to hand quilt my Cascadia, but decided to just stick it on the machine.

I'm not sure on the colors for Grand Illusion either. I'm going for the size specified by Bonnie. Even though I wouldn't have put those colors together myself, Bonnie never fails to WOW me with her quilt designs. Hope you are caught up by Friday. I know what you mean.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a beauty and 1" squares into the bargain!!
Good luck with the Bonnie Hunter Mystery.

Kate said...

Love the colors in your reproduction quilt. Congrats on that finish. Hope you are feeling much better now.

LA Paylor said...

Nell, I have been sick for nearly two weeks so I know how low energy I've been. Still, we want to sew don't we? I did a bit of hand sewing in front of the tv. Then today enjoyed the machine again. Doctor, doctor will I ever sew again?? LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Cathy said...

I've seen a lot of these little Cascadias in blog land lately and I have to tell you that I really think yours is one of the best. It looks rather vintage.

Skipping BH mystery for another year until I get my Roll, Roll Cotton Boll and Orca Bay tops quilted!

Quilter Kathy said...

We are in a parallel quilting universe, sewing the same things :) So fun!

Teresa in Music City said...

Great finish Nell! Love all those wonderful fabrics in there - and so small!!! Good for you doing the Mystery. I'm saving the patterns and hope to start it after the first of the year. Loving seeing everyone's start!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...