Saturday 4 October 2014

October is Brown or .......

I spent time earlier this week painting the hallway outside my bedroom and my bathroom.  With the time spent selecting paint colours and testing them out it took the better part of three days to complete.  Don't you just love those little sample cans of paint.  I think they hold about a cup but they're worth every penny you pay for them.  I'm so glad I tested out a few shades before committing to a colour.  I picked Denim Light for the hallway and Chocolate Froth for the bathroom.  Speaking of chocolate, Angela selected brown as the colour for October.  I pulled out my browns
Aren't these delicious - everything from blonde fudge to taffy to rich dark chocolate.

I made the first of my brown blocks - Boxy Star.






And I was busy with another little quilt.  This year our guild offered the quilt of the month project.  For a flat fee of $20 participants get a new pattern every month.  The September pattern was  Not Just Any Rail Fence by Jackie Syer. 


The patterns are supposed to be scrap busters but I decided to make mine a stash buster. 


I purchased just a metre of a lot of brightly coloured fabrics when they were on sale - buy one get two free.  Now who could resist that.  This pattern reminded me of a weave and that's how I treated it.  Isn't that colourful!
These are the four colour ways I made.  The bubbles with the orangey-gold centre square were a common element.  The light and dark also appears in two blocks.  Only the medium values got switched out.  Because I was working with full yardage the quilt went together relatively quickly.  I'll see what the October pattern will be.  Will it be a scrap buster or a stash buster?
Linking up with RSC to see what everyone else has been up to with the new colour.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Love your browns, the Boxy Star turned out beautifully. Your version of Not Just Any Rail Fence is fun. What a great way to bust some stash.

Mari said...

How funny to think of the browns as various forms of chocolate! Great way of looking at what I consider a really dull color. Love the rail fence--so bright and happy!

Ellen said...

So much wonderful variety with your brown scraps! Your Boxy Stars block turned out great and your rail fence quilt turned out very fun looking.

Sheila said...

Love your rich, brown prints!
Cool patterns. Awesome 4 colorway and bubbles print.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your stash buster rail fence is amazing... love it!
It really does look like a weave!
I must get back to my blocks.

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful browns and boxy star!

Marly said...

Beautiful collection of browns.

Cathy said...

Cute boxy star. I like that rail fence pattern. It does look like a good scrap or stash buster - quick and easy!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...