Saturday 11 July 2015

Round Two in Red

I was so surprised (pleasantly) that Angela had posted both red blocks for the RSC.  Here they are:
They are both lanterns of a sort and I guess the closest thing there is to fireworks in a quilt block.  So very appropriate for both Canada Day and Independence Day celebrations.  After I made the centres it took no time at all to insert them into the already prepared saw tooth star segments.
I love the way they turned out and they look great in the row.  My pictures of the row were taken late last night and no amount of photo shopping gave me a good photo of the row.  I'll try again for next week.
 
More July Shop Hopping and Row by Row experiences this week.  We visited four different shops.  Two I have never been in before and loved the experience.  Each shop has it's own character with the lines of fabric and the style of quilting.  I have now discovered a great little shop for homespun cottons that make up into the softest chenille scarves.  And a wonderful restaurant just down the road from a shop that featured a block with some needle punch work on it.  I think this will be a row that will take more time to finish.  I remember my mom making velvet and satin needle punch pillows using wools but this tiny block is made on cotton using pearl cotton or floss.  It is a much finer look. 
 
I finished another row with the water theme:
 
This is boating on the Grand. 
 
Lots of company this week and more to come this weekend so it really cuts into the quilting time but I'm loving touching base with everyone.  It's summer after all.
 
I'll be touching base today with Angela and visiting other Scrappy blogs.  Join the group and see what others have been stitching up.



7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fun watching the row projects pop up here and there. Glad you found a new LQS to visit.

scraphappy said...

Your blocks both turned out beautifully. I've been enjoying other peoples progress on the row by row. Such a nice idea to get people into local quilt shops.

Sheila said...

Beautiful red blocks. Very interesting row work.

Deb A said...

Great blocks. I love that red kayak... reminds me I have one in the shed I need to get out and take a spin in the water sometime.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your RED blocks both turned out well. They are sure to add a spark to the quilt!

Mari said...

Love your red blocks! And the row looks pretty good too. Love the flag!

PaulaB quilts said...

Love the four charming water vessels with the Maple Leafs flying. The red stars are very colorful.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...