Saturday 4 July 2015

Good Bye Blue, Hello Red

Happy Fourth of July to all the American bloggers.

It's been a week of starts and finishes.  Finally the rain has stopped, the sun has come out and I was able to spend some time in the garden.  The flower beds look so much better now that they're mostly weed free. 

 
I made a trip to my local quilt shop and picked up the kit for the row by row experience.  The theme for this year was water - H2O.  I've always wanted to make a snail's trail block and that's what the first row is.  In keeping with the theme the fabrics were white, aqua, and navy with a wonderful Japanese Hokusai wave print.
It's created such a beautiful wave like motion with the colour placement. They called this row Whale's Trail.  This is my good bye to blue or maybe not.  I suspect when I visit neighbouring shops I might see a little more blue before this experience is complete.


I pulled out my red`s after Angela posted the colour for the month and made the star points for the red saw tooth stars. 


 While I was at it, I also made the alternate blocks to go between.


They will be in the final row of the RSC quilt with the pink blocks anchoring the ends.  Here's how that will look:

 
 I think I've got them right if I followed the patterning for the blocks.  Looking good so far.

Angela suggested we take a mid year look at our projects.  The only one I've been really consistent with is the Boxy Stars. 
Another red one will be added this month.  By December I'll have 24 of these beauties - enough for a fair sized quilt once the borders are added. 

That's it for this week.  I'm off to check in with Angela over at so scrappy and then visit  other scrappy quilters to see what they've been up to.



14 comments:

scraphappy said...

Oh my goodness, you really are ahead of the game this month. I'd better get busy and post the sampler blocks for you. Lovely progress on your rainbow scrap challenge projects.

Marly said...

I love your waves in your new project. This looks promising for the mystery.
You have done well in making the alternate blocks. The boxy stars are looking good too.

Karen said...

Lots of lovely blocks. Your boxy star quilt is going to amazing.

Sally Trude said...

Love the waves! And its wonderful to see the boxy stars come together.

LA Paylor said...

everything you show us is exciting and lovely. LeeAnna

Mari said...

Love that row. It looks like waves crashing. And your blocks are coming along nicely. That bottom row is going to look great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking GOOD!!! :o))

Katie Z. said...

I love the row! It's gorgeous, and a snail!'s trail has been on my mind...

Sheila said...

LOVE your colorful boxy squares! That quilt blocks is definitely on my bucket list!

PaulaB quilts said...

Those whales trails are stunning, real old Japanese style. The row of red and pink blocks is great, so airy. You did get a lot done, good going.

Teresa in Music City said...

You've done so well with your RSC projects this year!!! Love those Boxy Stars :*) I haven't visited any of our shops for the Row by Row, but I plan to. Love the wave row!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your Boxy Stars project is looking so good! Very effective pattern.

Scrappy quilter said...

Love the look of your boxy stars quilt. Wonderful job.

Lori said...

I really like your boxy stars!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...