Saturday 31 January 2015

Last Blue Day

Last day in January and final blue post.  Time to put the blue scraps away.  As I was doing so I played with a few strings.  No I didn't make music just slabs of fabric. 

First I made a blue string strip and trimmed it down to 6.5" squares.  These got sewn together to make this:
I found some odd bits lying around from another project and rather than putting them into their proper bags and bins I just included them in the strip.  I think I'll make one block each month and see what comes of it at the end of the year.

I watched a video tutorial for making these next blocks but didn't know how they'd turn out as my strips weren't all the same size.  Again I pieced a strip chain about 30" long and cut out four 7.5 inch squares.



The squares were laid right sides together.  One strip set went vertically and the other horizontally.  I then stitched 1/4" from edge all around then cut on the diagonal one way and then the other.  I repeated with a second pair then mixed things up to make two blocks. 
They finish an odd size but it won't matter if all are made identically.  These little blocks used up a fair number of strips that didn't have to get tidied up so I think I'll make two of these blocks every month and see what happens at year's end.
 
The blue is put away for another year but check So Scrappy to see the last of the blue scrappy goodness.

15 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Love your collection. The hints of red really give them a lot of pep.

Scrappy quilter said...

Lovely and great use of blue. Most of my scraps are gone now for blue however I am going to miss that colour.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Those are great blocks. Nice work!

Marly said...

What an interesting block, and all from strips. I have to try this too!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

I love making strip/string blocks. The variety and texture makes them endlessly interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are all cool blocks!

Terri said...

Yummy blue blocks. It'll be fun to see what you do with pink.
Hugs

Cathy said...

Strings are always good and so versatile as you've shown! Great idea.

Deb A said...

Great use of your scraps. I really like the bottom blocks and can't wait to see how they will play with the other colors.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely blues and and the pops of colour are great.

Quiltdivajulie said...

These will make great quilt(s) !!

Nanna said...

beautiful blue blocks!

Helen

LA Paylor said...

I have those same blocks going and love how they are looking. I have so many blues and greens I might just stay to those and make DH a quilt! He likes any quilt as long as it's blue. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Sheila said...

Beautiful blue scraps and blocks.
Time to play with pink scraps : )

Kate said...

Beautiful way to use up scraps. Looking forward to seeing both these projects develop this year.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...