Wednesday 29 January 2014

Filmstar

Last June a group of fellow quilters met for our monthly get together and tried our hand at some Crazy Quilting.  We worked together sifting through piles of scrappy fabric and lace and selected bits we liked.  Then the fun began.  We cut a piece of canvas to use as our foundation then cut a 5 sided shape from one of the fabrics and positioned it on the foundation.  Then we were to work our way around it joining on additional strips.  I started with the star burst in gold and continued.  Because of the initial positioning of the starburst fabric, I soon ran out of places to go to the right and had to continue working only to the bottom, left and top of the piece.  Talk about challenging but the canvas was finally covered and then it sat.  And sat.  And sat.  Yesterday I decided to try out some of the embroidery stitches on my new sewing machine and figured I might as well do that on the Crazy Patch. 

 
Here's a peek at some of the stitches I tried.  I used Kimono silk thread in red.  It's very fine and has a lovely sheen.  The photo doesn't really show it off. 

What fun to finally get the project finished!


2 comments:

Gina said...

I love that quilt. So striking

Nell's Quilts said...

Thanks, Gina. It was a fun project to do.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...