Saturday 11 January 2014

Scrap Happy Saturday Check-in

Another week and I've managed to complete the quilt top I started in 2013.  After completing the friendship stars in the border I auditioned a piano border.



 It looked pretty good. I liked the repetition of the colour in the border.  The black and brown keys helped to contain the quilt so the stars didn't continue to float off into space and take the eye with it away from the quilt.  Here's the finished flimsy.
Now on to 2014!
I scanned through various magazines and web sites looking for a block I would like to try for the Scrap Happy challenge and have narrowed it down to two possibilities.  They look similar but the size of the centre background square and the framing rectangles vary.  Both have merit and I'll have to make a decision. 
This is the first box block.  It allows me to us eight different scrappy blue strips.  I like the dimensional movement it provides- like looking through a box.  The starry points are an added bonus feature.
This second block is the boxy star.  The look is similar - it also uses eight different scrappy blue strips and gives the sense of perspective and movement but the starry points are more pronounced. 
 
Which do you prefer?  Hopefully the fabric selection won't influence your choice.  It is Scrap Happy after all.
 
 
 


10 comments:

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Your quilt top is gorgeous! Love that border, it adds so much. I like the boxy star... Something about the wider strips of color is appealing to me. Are they 2.5" strips?

Julie in GA said...

Your star top is beautiful, and I love both of your scrappy block ideas. I think I prefer the Boxy Stars because it has more color and less background, plus the stars are more visible.

Nell's Quilts said...

They are indeed 2.5 inch strips - each 1/4 of the finished block calls for three 2.5" squares of background fabric, one 2.5" square of accent colour and one 2.5 x 4.5 accent colour. The star points require one 2.5 x 4.5 and one 2.5 x 6.5" rectangle.

Nell's Quilts said...

The boxy stars go together a little easier too.

Sheila said...

A beautiful quilt top! I love it. Congratulations on a finish.

scraphappy said...

I thought at first I liked the first block, I think it was the fabric though. The more solid fabrics with more white space have a more modern feel. On second thought though, I like the second block better, the color should be the focal point i think, not the background.

Kate said...

Love the dynamic setting you used in your Friendship Star quilt, love the movement in it. I like the second best, depending upon your scraps you could really accent the star or not.

Cathy said...

I love the layout of the quilt too. I have a difficult time with borders so like to see what everyone else does in that area.

I like the first block...box block. It looks 3D. And it's kind of like one of those wiggle pictures...first you see the boxes and then you see the star.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your friendship stars quilt is terrific! Excellent job!
So glad you are blogging :)

Karen said...

I prefer the boxy star block. I love the way your friendship stars look like they are moving.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...