Saturday 26 July 2014

Last Red Check In

It's been a busy week but not much time for sewing.  I walked into my quilting space on Monday morning, took one look and wanted to scream...."I can't stand this mess any more!"  But I didn't scream, I went shopping and bought one of those cube storage units for my boxes of fabric.  It went together quite easily and that put the wheels in motion.  I have now gone through almost every bin, drawer and shelf and have reorganized everything so I know exactly where everything is - almost.  There are still a few baskets to go through but that should go relatively quickly.  Thursday night was the first time I could get close enough to the machine to do some sewing.  I made the Big Dipper and cut fabric for Jewel Box.

Friday morning I was up early and put together Jewel Box.  (This one needs a better pressing.  Why do photos show every little flaw?)
Oh, no!  Do you see those angry looking teeth in the middle.  Something isn't right.  I'd better check out the layout again.  Yup there is a diamond in the middle - the jewel - no teeth.  Where's that seam ripper?
Now that's much better!  even the press is better.  Can you tell this was done later on Friday night?  The lighting is different.  Colours above are more true.
 
And then I noticed Angela had another block up so I dug out my 1/4 inch graph paper and drafted the kaleidoscope block.
 
I was on a roll so put together a few bitty strings for the spool blocks that I some how missed making earlier.

I have to say, Silver was thrilled that I was almost finished with my sort and organize.  He finally had a spot to sit and observe as I went back to the sewing machine and he went back to supervising my progress.  Good thing too or I never would have spotted that mistake!


Checking in with RSC and hopping over to see what everyone else has been up to this week.




10 comments:

Kathy S. said...

I especially LOVE the red string spool blocks. Keep up the good work with all your scraps. You're right. July was a super busy month.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Great red blocks, but those spool blocks are over the top! How cute! I find it such a time saver when I keep organized. I rearranged my sewing room this week, felt good, and I think I have a wall that could work as a design wall.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karen said...

Very pretty red blocks. Also awesome kitty.

Lilian Pilar said...

me encantan los conos de hilo,
Xoxo

Jo said...

Love to see a photo of your new storage area.
It's a good feeling to catch up....

Andee said...

Your RSC blocks look great!

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

And what's in store for August!?

Sheila said...

Love your red blocks. Especially the spools. I need to buy some storage units, too.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...