Saturday 30 August 2014

Last Saturday for Light and Bright Green

On the way to see the production of King Lear in Stratford we stopped by The Quilt Place in Shakespeare and I found a 10 inch layer cake in 30's reproduction fabrics.   I've been collecting 30's reproduction prints for years and decided to use my new purchase and a downloaded pattern by Amanda Murphy.  It called for a 10 inch layer cake, a jelly roll and some white fabric.  The pattern was originally designed to be used with Robert Kaufman fabrics.  Here's the centre section of my version. 
There is sashing in white and one of the 30's fabrics to be added around the perimeter then a border of 5 inch strips sewn together horizontally - like piano keys.  .

Two minis were also finished for the upcoming guild show.
This one is a Drunkard's Path that was dropped off to Community Outreach as 4 orphan blocks.  I pieced, added the border and did some echo quilting.  Looks okay for someone's unwanted blocks.  The second one is green so fits in with the August RSC.
I was playing around with some charm squares and the sliver block idea. 

And finally I completed the Bouncing Betty block that Angela posted last week.
 
Drat - there's a bit of thread in the photo.  Why didn't I spot it earlier? 
 
Here are all of my RSC blocks for August.  What has everyone else been up to?
 

 What colour will Angela pick for September?  I'm packing up the green scraps and waiting for the announcement.  Will it be the much awaited orange?



9 comments:

Gina said...

Love what you've showed us. I didn't do this month in the scrappy as I'd already used up all my green scraps. Come December I'll decide what colour to use to make up the 12 xxx

Sheila said...

Love those 30's reproduction fabrics and what you have done with them!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love the quilting you did on the drunkard path, really adds to those blocks. The bouncing betty has some great fabric choices. I hate when threads appear, not sure why we don't see them before we take the photo.

scraphappy said...

Orange it is! Love your green blocks for the month. Hope you will enjoy the orange just as much.

Angie said...

Great assortment of projects! I'm looking forward to playing with orange!

Edith said...

My goodness you've been productive, love the Reproduction quilt.

Terri said...

Wow! You have been busy. I love the - well, I love it all. Are you quilting as you go, or making small quilts? Either way, lots of inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Teresa in Music City said...

Yay! The color is Orange!!! I'm a happy camper :) Love your green scrappy blocks. You used a lot of different colors of green - perfect! Those sliver blocks look fun. I need to try that technique someday soon :)

Marly said...

I like the 30s fabric, and how you've used it. That looks like a straightforward pattern. I like what you've done with the Drunkard's path although I can't imagine someone going to the trouble of making Drunkards path blocks, and then not using them.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...