Friday 20 June 2014

Slivers of Yellow

We were lucky - strong winds, torrential downpours but no tornado.  After that was all over we've had two days of sunshine with temperatures cool enough that the air didn't have to kick in if we bumped the setting up to 75F.  I did a bit of sewing every day this week and managed to complete my Mock Mola Ananas.
The colour's off.  The background is quite black and the colours are a bit more vibrant.  That's what happens when you take the pictures indoors after sundown.

I also made the two missing RSC yellow blocks - boxed kite in green and yellow and mock Lemoyne star in orange and yellow.
I didn't have enough of the yellow with black spots so my focus fabric had to do double duty.  I think it works.
The yellow background I chose for this block almost has a peachy tone to it and I think it really compliments the orange fabrics.
And here are the yellow spools.  Perhaps I shouldn't have used that batik.  It is too green I think.
 
My last little project was a yellow mini.  I was part of a charm square exchange and wondered what to do with 40 charms in every colour imaginable.  On a shopping expedition I found a book that featured some sliver quilts.  It was a technique I wanted to try but not for an entire quilt.  Using the charm squares was a perfect solution.  Some fancy stitching and a little bit of embellishment and my Slivers of Sunshine mini was complete.
That's all for me and yellow this week.  Checking in with RSC to see what others have been up to.



 

7 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wonderful blocks, but those spool blocks are fantastic. They almost look 3-D, great fabric choices!

Teresa in Music City said...

Love your Sliver quilt!!! And I think the Batik is fine - it adds interest :)

Needled Mom said...

Your yellows are beautiful and I am wild about your mola. That is stunning!

Jo said...

You have a large range of yellows.
Any idea what how you will put the blocks together

scraphappy said...

What a fun mini -- great way to try out a new technique. Great variety of yellows this week. Beautiful!

Sheila said...

Love all your fun fabrics and blocks!

Melinda said...

Love all of your yellow projects. You have been quite busy. But I especially love your Mock mola ananas quilt. It's very cool.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...