Saturday 28 June 2014

Last Saturday to be Mellow with Yellow

Two more quick little projects with my yellow scraps before I put them away.  I have been admiring the lozenges made by others and decided to try some too.   The quilt on Bonnie Hunter's blog, Stained Glass circa 1890's inspired me.  I've made 15 lozenges and have another 13 yellow to go. Then I'll be playing catch up with blue, pink, teal, purple and green to have enough lozenges to reproduce a modern take on the 1890's quilt.  Oh, no!  Do see you what I've done!  The triangle corners on each lozenge are supposed to be either totally dark or totally light not half'n'half.  I'll be do some ripping and re-stitching!
The ripping is done and the blocks have been corrected.  Doesn't this look better?


I love quilt books and was thrilled that the guild allowed us to borrow books over the summer.  One that I took out is Micro Mini Quilts by Moose on the Porch Quilts .  The first mini that caught my eye was one called Taffy Pull.  It finishes at 14" square and is a modified rail fence.
What fun it was putting it together.  Quilting and binding left to do.  How would you quilt it?

The second little mini I tried was Cross-Eyed.  I'm not sure if this will be the final layout.  I tried to group (where possible) like greens to create a second pinwheel pattern in the piece but I'm not sure I like it.  Should it be more random?  I already took some of the randomness (is that a word) away when I used only my yellow and green scraps. 




The last of the yellow RSC blocks are done.  Linking up with RSC.  Stop by and see what everyone is up to.

10 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love that Taffy pull mini. I might try quilting through the center of the stripes to accent them even more, or maybe two lines of quilting thru every other one.

scraphappy said...

Lots of happy yellows today! Beautiful mini quilt. How about a nice stair step quilting through the solid rails?

sophie said...

All the projects are great, but i LOVE the mini quilt.

Terri said...

Love the mini quilt... especially that it looks like a chevron, but isn't so complicated. I've gotta make one of those! Thanks for the inspiration.
Hugs

Marly said...

Your RSC blocks look good; you decided on the green butterfly body I see.
The Taffy Pull is a fun little quilt, but if it's only 14" those strips must finish at less than 1" wide. I wonder where the name came from. Taffy is slang for a Welshman, but, as far as I know, comes from Daffy - Daffodil, the national emblem. I don't see a connection.

Gina said...

Love the lozenges. I wouldn't quilt the taffy pull to be honest. I'd stitch in the ditch in monofilament and then leave it. As Marly says Taffy is slang for someone from South Wales ( ie me) but isn't a taffy pull another name for pulling toffee xx

Lisa said...

You've been really busy with your yellow block and they look great. The lozenges are really stunning too.

Teresa in Music City said...

Love your yellow lozenge blocks!! That will be a fun quilt :) You should have fun making up the other colors too - great way to use up those scraps!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your Taffy Pull is a sweetie of a mini quilt - wouldn't mind making one of these!

Needled Mom said...

I love those lozenges. The ripping is never fun, but they look great now.

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...