Saturday 14 June 2014

Some New Yellow

I've been busy so haven't visited any blog sites for a few days.  What a surprise when I checked soscrappy today.  Angela's been busy with four new blocks posted for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  What fun it was to select the fabrics for the blocks!  Check out my versions of

Pinwheel Block Variation
 
Alamo Star Block
Economy Square Block
Bright Hopes Block
 
On Tuesday at our guild meeting our guest speaker was the Singing Quilter, Cathy Miller.  (Check Kathy's Blog for picture and story.)  The following day she gave her Mock Mola workshop.  It was challenging.  We had to create out own design and then do Cathy's version of reverse applique.  I was lucky that I had a doodle for inspiration. 
 
 
 
A few year's ago I was at a restaurant that provided a sheet of butcher paper for a table cloth and a cup of crayons to keep kids (adults too) amused while they waited for their meal.  While we chatted and waited I began to doodle and quite liked it so I took it home with me, and knew I'd want to make a quilt with it but wasn't sure how I'd do it.  I brought the doodle to the workshop to see if the Mock Mola technique would work.  Cathy thought it had definite possibilities.  What do you think?

It needs to be blocked and quilted but the construction is complete.  The design is the reverse of my doodle and there are modifications but the general idea was the same.  I always thought of this as a doodle but others in the class saw a pineapple.  I'm beginning to see the pineapple too.  
 
I'm including this with my Saturday soscrappy post because if you look really hard you just might spot some yellow in the batik fabric.

15 comments:

Jackie J said...

It looks great, looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

make.share.give said...

Really neat reverse applique! Love those chickies on the Alamo Star and Bright Hopes blocks.

Marly said...

Not only is there some yellow in your pineapple, it's right in the middle, just where it should be for good Feng Shui! Great project: very neat reverse appliqué

Kate said...

Your doodle looks great translated to fabric! Your yellow blocks all look so sunny. I'm hoping to get all caught up today.

scraphappy said...

Love all your yellow samplers -- you have been busy. Cute fabrics in the bright hopes blocks. What a fun new technique -- and yes, I can see some yellow.

Katie Z. said...

Your doodle block is fabulous!

Fibre Art by Mary Katherine Hopkins said...

a) Its fabulous and
b) I can't believe you hung onto a scrap of paper from a restaurant!!

Angie said...

Great yellow fabrics & your doodle is amazing! I'm not familiar with "mock mola", but it looks like a great technique to have in one's arsenal.

Dasha said...

What a great design for your Mock Mola block. It really looks lovely. And the little chicken fabric in your blocks is too cute.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Lovely yellow blocks and it sounds like you had a very productive workshop too!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great yellow blocks this week. I love what you did in Cathy's class. So fun to see your drawing turned in to a little quilt project.

Lisa J. said...

This is so cool. It's great to see someone's result from the workshop.

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! That's a really cool design & I can see why you kept it! Love what you did with it :) And you have some really fun and happy yellows - great blocks!!!

Sheila said...

Great blocks. Love your fabrics.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your Alamo Star!
And your "doodle" is fantastic!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...