Tuesday 24 June 2014

Something New from Something Old

You can find all kinds of interesting little projects on Pinterest.  One told of taking those ugly canvas totes we've all received at a conference/workshop - you know the ones with the name of the conference or sponsor- and using them as a foundation for something quilty and creative.  All you had to do was rip open the side seam and you had a nice flat foundation on which to work your magic.  At the same time I was reading Karen Eckmeier's Layered Waves - A Fresh Way to Quilt.  It is "the technique behind Accidental Landscapes.   Well I decided to combine the bag idea with the waves technique and here is the result.

One side

The other side
  I pulled the teal and green scraps out and came up with a new little bag.  Keeping the same fabrics on both sides didn't always work out but I was determined to use strips I had so there are a few differences but it works.

I added some decorative stitching at the top to attach the first strip on both ends and on the handle so the white canvas looked like it belonged. 

 It was a fun little project and makes a great bag for my trips to the library.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Great bag. Love the idea of reusing a tote bag. Might end up rescuing a few of mine xx

Marly said...

Your bag is beautiful. A great idea to use those free bags that way.
Thanks for the tip on the book. I'm going to check if it's in my guild's library. Then I'll finally get something for my contribution!

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...