Thursday 26 June 2014

More minis

The book Layered Waves had me digging into my strips again.  This time I made a layered slab and then cut it up into strips, flipped some, rearranged some and stitched them back together.  Now the piece looks like fractured strata.  It's a neat effect. 
I'll have to sandwich it, do some quilting and bind it for another mini for our 2015 guild show.
I wanted to try some of the other techniques in the book but was determined not to cut into the fat quarters but just use up strips.  Perhaps I'll sign the book out again and try some of the more complex layers at another time. 

Last Saturday I highlighted a yellow sliver mini in my post and today I worked on a green one.  I have to bind it and put on a hanging sleeve and that will be another finish.
These are all small projects but when getting things finished is a big problem this is a big step forward.  I must say, I like the feeling.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Great little projects. I love the colours in the strata quilt. Will have to look out for that book as it looks really interesting xx

Terri said...

Love your strata. Such an interesting technique. Thanks for sharing your method and results. Sounds like a lot of fun, too.
Hugs

Marly said...

I love your fractured strata. The technique is a bit like Ricky Tims' Convergence quilts, but I think your vertical cuts through the slab are more random than his. You have used some amazing fabrics here. Are they all batiks?

Going Neutral

This year I opted for 4 different RSC projects.  All of the colours to date have worked well with the blocks but light neutrals will be a ch...